Re: Sherman Douglas -Reply

Ryan Falcone wrote:

> I seem to remember that I was one of the few who wanted to keep
> Sherman.
> Has he changed, the list  changed, or there's just more folks who
> appreciate him out there now?  I don't know if he can still do it or
> not, so I don't know if I would want him back now.  But it is good to
> see that someone out there besides me liked Sherm and his game. <<<<
>
> Bentz:
>
> I've always been a big Sherman Douglas fan.  Despite his ostensible
> limitations (ie--too slow, too short, quirky shooting mechanics, etc), the
> guy is a flat-out winner.  He brought a tremendous amount of leadership
> and stability to a young New Jersey Nets team last year.  In fact, at the
> all-star break, I believe that Sports Illustrated named him as their choice
> for top free agent signing of last year's season.
>
> He also averaged over 18 points in the Nets / Bulls opening round playoff
> series.  Unfortunately, the Nets were swept in three games, but they
> took the Bulls to the wire in two of the games (including an overtime loss
> in Game !, I believe).
>
> I'm not sure if Sherman Douglas would provide the kind of end-to-end ball
> pressure that Pitino's style needs, but then again, neither can Kenny
> Anderson.  However, I'm confident that Sherm would thrive as a
> distributor in this system, particularly with Messrs. Mercer, Pierce, and
> Walker filling the lanes.
>
> Ryan

Nice analysis, Ryan. Count me in as a Sherman Douglas (and John Bagley) fan
:-)

Then again, we could always sign "Master P" as our backup PG.  The guy has
turned mild-mannered Ron Mercer into thinking he's the black superman. Plus,
he'd probably sign for the league minimum, since 1) he won't have to pay an
agent commission, and 2) he is already a one-man Fortune 500 company.

In all seriousness, I think Chris Wallace has already nixed this idea.

Joe

****