Re: Sherman Douglas -Reply

>>> "R. Bentz Kirby" <bocelts@usit.net> 01/29/99 12:28am >>>
I seem to remember that I was one of the few who wanted to keep
Sherman.
Has he changed, the list  changed, or there's just more folks who
appreciate him out there now?  I don't know if he can still do it or
not, so I don't know if I would want him back now.  But it is good to
see that someone out there besides me liked Sherm and his game. <<<<

Bentz:

I've always been a big Sherman Douglas fan.  Despite his ostensible
limitations (ie--too slow, too short, quirky shooting mechanics, etc), the
guy is a flat-out winner.  He brought a tremendous amount of leadership
and stability to a young New Jersey Nets team last year.  In fact, at the
all-star break, I believe that Sports Illustrated named him as their choice
for top free agent signing of last year's season.

He also averaged over 18 points in the Nets / Bulls opening round playoff
series.  Unfortunately, the Nets were swept in three games, but they
took the Bulls to the wire in two of the games (including an overtime loss
in Game !, I believe).

I'm not sure if Sherman Douglas would provide the kind of end-to-end ball
pressure that Pitino's style needs, but then again, neither can Kenny
Anderson.  However, I'm confident that Sherm would thrive as a
distributor in this system, particularly with Messrs. Mercer, Pierce, and
Walker filling the lanes.

Ryan