Re:Center

>From: Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Center

>I would make this trade, but I take issue with two parts of Peter's
>argument.

I agree with you.

>1)  Campbell is a bum.  As soon as he got his big contract from the
>Lakers, he went back to his Valium game.  I really think this is a bad
>guy, and can't believe that he is necessary to winning.  Which brings
>up my second point.

The question is, IMO, could Pitino turn him in to the player he
was/could be?

>2) Where is it written that you have to have a big bad center to win a
>championship?  The Detroit Pistons didn't have one.  Other teams, like
>the Celtics and Bullets of the 70s, had 6'8" centers in the pivot.
>Where is it written that Battie will never be a starting center?  Or
>that we won't be able to acquire a Dale Davis somewhere along the >way,
particularly after the cap rises and Dino, Pervis, Minor, etc. are
>finally off it?

It's not the 70's anymore.  (Not meaning any disrespect to your remark)

I believe, as do most of the NBA coaches apparently, that you need size
in the middle of 7' or more to win in the 90's.  Battie may do some of
lifting, but unless you have MJ ( And he did have a 7 footer) I think
you need a big center now.  If you deducted a couple inches from Parish
and Mchale's height do you think the Celtics would have won it all with
the "big three"?

Do you think Miami can win it all with Mourning (sp?) at center?

I think that $7 mil a year has been made "short money" for a true 7' NBA
skills, center.  The younger good centers will demand and receive Walker
money by their third year.  Think about it, people on this list reported
that Geiger was willing to take $4 mil a year and he signed for $8 mil.
What does that make an established center worth?  Thank goodness for the
salery cap!

With who the Celtics have at 1, 2, 3, and 4, a solid shot blocker/put
back center who can run with these other guys, will take us deep into
the playoffs in the next two years.  During that time you look for a
solid point (preferably via the draft) to back up Anderson and do the
heavy lifting during the season to protect his knees.  I think he is a
good enough point to win it all with, but I don't think he'll last 4
more years in this system at his minutes a game.

>Josh

Barring any Bias/Lewis disasters, I think this team can compete for it
all in 3-4 years.  ( That's after taking a huge leap that Pitino will
keep these four guy's intact.  I keep waiting to hear a rumor about a
sign and trade with the Wizards for Strickland)

<Jim