RE: Deals with LAC

> Imagine:
> >
> > Wright
> > Walker
> > Rodgers or Taylor
> > Mercer
> > Anderson
>
> Yuck!  I like what we have now much better, especially when you consider
> the salary cap restrictions.  Battie has similar size to Wright, and he
> and Pierce both have tremendous upside potential, and both fit well with
> the Celtics system, and we'll have them under rookie contracts longer.
> Why take on a player with one year left on his contract, who wants 10
> Million a year, when you know you won't be able to pay him that kind of
> money?
>
> Jon Mc

The more I think of this the more we need to move Mercer or Pierce for
Wright. Good big men are hard to find, and  if they can walk and chew gum,
 ridiculously priced.

2's & 3's are a dime a dozen and always available in free agency or the
draft.  We won't be getting an Elton Brand or any decent big man in the
draft or free agency so we will suffer through a another few years of
Antoine getting pounded inside.  Popeye Jones might help,  but Declercq &
Battie have to beef up and be able to put the ball in the hoop, and play
some D to help us, and Schintzius, Garth Joseph, or any other behemoth free
agents won't help.  Although Mercer is very athletic, if you can't hit the
jumper & 3's at the 2 spot, you will hurt the team, as defenses will sag in
and double team the inside game unless you can keep them honest.  I think
Mercer shot about 10% on  3's last year which is horrendous. Wright is a
great kid and good excellent rebounder. He averaged 15 point & 18 boards in
two games against us last year, and 23/10 against the Lakers.

Jerry West was willing to move Campbell & Jones & offer Gugliotta a $87M
contact !  Eddie Jones is better than Mercer or Pierce, but still
expendable to help the Lakers.

Although I can't believe I am saying this the Elden Campbell might be
another idea to rekindle.  When Shaq has been out injured the last couple
of years I think Elden has been about an 17/10 man.  Maybe he just needs a
change of scenery and we could jettison Minor, Barros & Popeye would be the
strong 4 they need. Once again,  Elden's $8M a year is scary, but getting
to be average for athletic big men.