Keon Clark Wowing Them In Denver

                   Newcomer Clark is talk of Nuggets                                                  [Image]
                   Skinny youngster shows skill as a shot blocker

                   By Dave Krieger
                   News Staff Writer

                   AIR FORCE ACADEMY -- The sights and sounds of
                   the early workouts of Denver Nuggets training
                   camp this year have included more oohs and
                   aahs than usual.

                   Some of that is because the workouts are open to the
                   public.

                   Some is because of Antonio McDyess and his famous 42-inch
                   vertical leap.
                   But a surprising number of jaws have been dropping because
                   of Keon Clark.

                   Clark's vertical is not what McDyess' is -- Nuggets
                   director of scouting Kim Hughes thinks his former employer,
                   the Bucks, measured it at 28 inches before the draft last
                   June -- but his wingspan and quickness are something else.
                   Almost everyone trying to get off a shot within 10 feet of
                   the basket in the early scrimmages has heard that sick
                   sound of the shot being slapped away from behind before it
                   even takes flight.

                   "His upside's fantastic," Hughes said of the 6-foot-11,
                   rail-thin shot blocker from Nevada-Las Vegas. "I think he
                   has the willingness to learn. I think he's a driven kid.
                   He's got a few weaknesses, but I think the future and the
                   innate talent he has overshadows any of those doubts."

                   Around the league, Clark was ranked among the top five
                   athletes in the 1998 draft. So why was he drafted No. 13 by
                   Orlando?

                   "The reason he was drafted lower, he had a personal problem
                   at UNLV," Hughes said. "That situation's been addressed.
                   That lowered his draft status and, naturally, his money.
                   But he's a driven kid, and I think he wants this badly. I
                   don't think he'll mess up again. I think he knows the
                   parameters involved."

                   Clark's personal problem was testing positive for marijuana
                   early in his senior season at UNLV. He was kicked off the
                   team after only 10 games.

                   Clark's friends pointed out this infraction did not require
                   expulsion from the team and blamed the outcome on a
                   personality conflict with UNLV coach Bill Bayno. But NBA
                   executives, noting that Clark had to know a drug test would
                   be taken sometime during the NCAA season, were dismayed.

                   "It was just basically when you're not used to bright
                   lights and big city, you do things that you wouldn't
                   usually do," Clark said Saturday. "That's what I did. I
                   partook in the wrong things, and it got me in trouble. You
                   break the rules, you've got to suffer the consequences.
                   Luckily enough, it wasn't enough for me to be out for a
                   whole year or hinder me from making it to this level."

                   Clark admitted he has not been practicing his draft-night
                   speech since he was 7.

                   "It was never really a dream of mine to make it to the
                   league," he said. "I've been blessed with the ablities and
                   attributes that I have, so I use them to the best of my
                   ability. I used basketball to get a free education. I
                   wasn't thinking NBA, NBA. I didn't know I really had a
                   chance until my junior season at UNLV."

                   Now, through a series of odd circumstances, his remarkable
                   athletic attributes have fallen into the lap of the
                   Nuggets, who acquired Clark and small forward Johnny Taylor
                   from Orlando last week for next to nothing -- the lower of
                   the club's two first-round draft picks next year -- just so
                   the Magic could clear room beneath the salary cap with
                   which to sign free-agent center Isaac Austin.

                   For the moment, Clark is backup to another rookie, No. 3
                   pick Raef LaFrentz, at center. But Nuggets coach Mike
                   D'Antoni sees a variety of possibilities.

                   "I think we can also go Antonio, Keon and Raef, or Antonio,
                   Danny Fortson and Raef," he said. "Because Antonio can
                   guard (small forwards) and Keon can guard a (small
                   forward). So we can go big if we've got problems
                   rebounding."

                   And the prospect of McDyess and Clark patrolling the paint
                   would raise questions for any opponent's inside game. But
                   Clark is so painfully skinny, he'll need defensive help on
                   almost any NBA big man, so his minutes are likely to be
                   limited in the early going. Still, general manager Dan
                   Issel was glad to get him so cheap.

                   "We did as much detective work as you possibly can," he
                   said. "There were some problems, but he's certainly a kid
                   worth taking a chance on."

                   At least for public consumption, Clark claims to value that
                   chance.

                   "I was always tall," he said. "Basketball was something
                   that came easy to me. I was blessed enough to be
                   left-handed, be able to jump well and have quickness for my
                   size. I guess everybody's put here for a reason. I found my
                   calling."

                   January 24, 1999

                   [An E.W. Scripps Co.]    © Copyright, Denver Publishing Co.