Profile Of Jersey Joe Idaho - Pitino Butt Boy/Celtics Team Services Director

Comrade to Jersey Red and Antoine Walker...

    [newStandard---------------copyright1996

  It's back to work for Celtics' Connor

  By Dan Pires, Standard-Times
  correspondent

  When the NBA lockout was finally resolved

  after 7½ months, there were understandably some
  unhappy faces mixed in with the smiling ones.
  On the other hand, New Bedford native and
  Boston Celtics director of team services John
  Connor was looking forward to getting back to
  work.
  Connor, better known as Johnny Joe Idaho

  by his friends and golf pals, was happy to put
  away his "sticks" and get back into the daily
  grind that allowed him just 10 days off last
  season, his first in the NBA.

  "It's like a tornado right now," said the
  erstwhile radio deejay. "With the lockout, I was
  looking for things to do. There was a lot of down
  time. (Celtics president and coach Rick Pitino)
  took me to some nice golf courses like Winged
  Foot and Valhalla. You go from that and to now
  where everything is crammed.
  "We're trying to book planes, hotels,
  buses, uniforms, getting a roster together, and
  finding practice gear," Connor said. "Now, the
  sneaker companies are tighter than ever. There's
  a lot of issues and a lot of headaches. All we
  can do now is roll up our sleeves and try to go
  get it."
  While his activities end well short of

  the parquet floor, Connor's responsibilities are
  seemingly endless.
  Connor, essentially, is the Celtics'
  traveling secretary, equipment manager, travel
  coordinator, food manager, practice coordinator
  and forward Antoine Walker's personal sparring
  partner -- on the hardwood, that is.
  After scoring 49 points against the
  Washington Wizards last year, Walker credited
  Connor, a former high school player, for helping
  him to hone his game.
  "The extra shooting practice I'm getting
  with Johnny Joe is paying off," Walker said at
  the time.
  Walker and Connor play one-on-one nearly
  every day during the season.
  The relationship between the two began
  several years ago. When they first met, Walker
  was playing for Pitino at the University of
  Kentucky. Connor, at the time, was a guest of his
  friend Ken "Jersey Red" Ford, Pitino's longtime
  friend and soulmate.
  "Going down to the UK games throughout

  the years with Jersey and on my own, I got to
  know the Kentucky players pretty good," Connor
  said.
  "During that time I've developed a pretty
  good relationship with Antoine (Walker). We have
  shooting matches all the time. We get a lot of
  fun out of it. I'm not bragging but I usually
  beat him. I was a below average basketball player
  at (Bishop) Stang (High School) but I could
  always shoot.
  "When Antoine came in over the weekend,
  we played eight games. I won five games right off
  the bat and we pushed three. I told him 'I'm
  five-and-0 baby.' He laughed and told me, 'It's a
  long season.'"
  The relationship between Connor and
  Pitino dates back to when Pitino was coaching at
  Providence College, and, with the help of Ford,
  was a guest on Connor's radio talk program.
  When Pitino moved on to the New York
  Knicks and then to Kentucky, Connor still kept in
  touch with the help of Ford. Little did he know
  that as a result of this burgeoning friendship,
  that he'd wind up working for his friend.
  [Image] "I had a couple of opportunities to join
  him down at UK as part of the staff," Connor
  said.
  "My wife's rooted up here and to tell you
  the truth, I couldn't have pulled the trigger.
  There was a part of me that wanted to and a part
  of me that didn't want to. (Pitino's) always said
  that if he went to the NBA, that I'd be with him.
  We have a strong friendship. It just so happened
  that we didn't have to move because he came to
  Boston. But he got me a position that's designed
  more to my strengths. Pitino was positive that I
  would relate well with the players and that my
  personality would be a plus. It's worked out to
  be a dream situation. He's the best. He's
  demanding. But, it hasn't affected our
  friendship.
  "He gets on me like he gets on anybody
  else. We call it getting 'whacked.' I have my
  share. On the other hand, he rewards you and he
  strives for excellence."
  While Connor hasn't been rewarded with
  too much time off during the regular season, his
  boss, during the lockout, made sure that Connor
  got in some R-and-R with a chance to partake in
  his favorite outdoor activity -- golf.
  It was on vacation when he ran into two
  of golf's biggest stars, Mark O'Meara and Tiger
  Woods. Not only did he get a chance to meet them,
  he also got to play alongside of them.
  "I'm finishing up on the ninth (hole) and
  they're putting out on the tenth," Connor said.
  "O'Meara saw me and called me over. There was
  nobody else around.
  I was wearing a Celtics shirt and O'Meara
  said that he was a Celtics' fan and Woods chirped
  in that he was a Lakers' fan.
  "It was just a thrill. I've broken 70
  three times in my life. I was just hoping for
  them to sign my card for me. I had an eagle and
  birdied the last three holes. I told one of the
  guys that if I broke my putt on the last hole
  that I'd have a 69 with Tiger Woods and Mark
  O'Meara's signature on it. I made it.
  "The pro afterward told me (that Woods
  and O'Meara) shot a 62 and a 63. I'm happy if I
  shoot 77 or 78."
  For now, the sticks have been put away
  and it's been all business since 2 p.m. Thursday.
  Now it's back to the whirlwind pace that has
  become the NBA.
  "Working in the NBA is a dream come true.
  I wouldn't trade it in for anything in the
  world," Connor added.
  "I'm lucky I have a great wife ("Joanie
  Joe") and she's left home to man the ship and
  take care of our three kids ("Joey Joe", "Jenny
  Joe", and "Jackie Joe"). I know for a fact in
  February I won't be home much. We have two home
  games and a series of road games. The positives
  do outweigh the negatives, but you make it work."

         Copyright © 1999 The Standard-Times.All rights reserved.