The "Rice Man" Cometh?

Ghost wrote:

>Best to wait until the draft and the C's lottery pick, when Lari
Ketner, Todd MacCulloch, Evan Eschmeyer, Wang Zhi Zhi (etc.) may all be
available

****

Hey for what it's worth, I watched young Zhi Zhi Wang play twice during
the Asian Games in Bangkok last month. That kid has honest size,
wingspan and superior coordination along the lines of a young Sabonis. I
wouldn't describe his attitude as "pumped up" like Cincy Bearcats'
Mikaels and Kenyon Martin, but he's not a softy finesse-guy like
MacCulloch (?) by any means. I hope Zhi Zhi makes it to the big show
someday.

Speaking of potential future ethnic sports folk heroes, check out what
ESPN's Andy Katz has to say about the yarmulke-wearing Tamir Goodman of
the "powerhouse" Talmudical Academy high school in Maryland. (Don't you
all just love America sometimes?)

"The hidden gem in the recruiting wars was found by Maryland when the
Terrapins got a commitment from Tamir Goodman, an Orthodox Jew from
Talmudical Academy in Maryland. The 17-year old junior guard wears a
yarmulke on the court and won't play on the Sabbath (Friday sundown to
Saturday sundown).

"Maryland coach Gary Williams told the family that he will look into
scheduling around the Sabbath, but it could be a problem when television
dictates the ACC and NCAA Tournament games.

"How good is Goodman? When assistant Billy Hahn went to watch him,
Goodman hit nine straight 30-foot shots -- that's six feet beyond the
NBA 3-point line. A tape of Goodman playing showed him dominating a game
with no-look passes, quick shots on the transition and dunks.

Goodman's coach Harold Katz told the Baltimore Sun, "Jewish boys aren't
supposed to do that -- they're not supposed to be making noise with the
rim.''"

Joe

p.s. Great posts on this list from all directions, IMO. As far as losing
Yogi is concerned, I say he can take his 43% free throw shooting to
Toronto and stick it up his Canadian tax-paying butt-hole. If you were
offered starter minutes by a great coach (sorry Paul M.) on the world's
greatest sports franchise and still turned it down, then as far as I'm
concerned you just weren't meant to be a Boston Celtic. God, these dumb
Californians!

Raise high the rafter beams, carpenter. I'm still sticking with "Beat LA
in 2000".

*****