Of interest

The AP has several tidbits I thought might interest people on this list:

1. Derek Anderson, the Cavaliers guard who signed on with rap star Master P
last summer to do his marketing, has become a rapper. "I've got a CD coming
out,'' Anderson said. Anderson already has appeared in a pair of music videos,
``Thug Girl'' and ``I'm A Soldier.'' And he has a role in the
soon-to-be-released movie ``No Tomorrow.'' All were produced by No Limit, the
company owned by Master P.  However, there are those who are wondering now if
Anderson is doing too much. While the workouts that began Jan. 11 at Gund
Arena are optional, Anderson was the only Cav who did not show up in the first
week.Several teammates were suspicious of Anderson's whereabouts.

In ``No Tomorrow,'' which also stars Gary Busey and Pam Greer, Master P is
trying to save the world from the Russians, who can blow up all of
civilization with one touch of a button. The movie also features Boston
Celtics guard Ron Mercer, who, like Anderson, dumped his agent during the
off-season to go with No Limit. ``(Mercer) gets killed in like five seconds,''
said Anderson. ``I'm Master P's bodyguard."

2. Jerry West confirms Travis Knight, Derek Harper will be Lakers

LOS ANGELES - Hello, Derek Harper. Welcome back, TravisKnight. And what's
this, Rick Fox might not be an ex-Laker after all? That's what Jerry West was
saying Tuesday as the new-look Lakers begin to take shape. West confirmed that
the Lakers will re-acquire Knight from Boston in a trade that sends Tony
Battie to the Celtics. ...

The Lakers don't seem to have anything against Battie, who was acquired in the
draft night trade that shipped Nick Van Exel to Denver. But they also didn't
seem to mind giving him up to get back Knight, who averaged 4.8 points and 4.5
rebounds for the Lakers a rookie.

Knight averaged 6.5 points and 4.9 rebounds last season in Boston, which
stunned the basketball world by giving him a $22 million, seven-year contract.

``We know what we're getting in Travis and we like it,'' Coach Del Harris
said. ``He's a complimentary player. He understands that and he's happy with
that. He has no ego problems. He knows he's not coming here to be the man. But
he's willing to help the man.'' That would be Shaquille O'Neal.

Meanwhile the Lakers are saving their new middle-class salary exception for
Fox. It has been speculated that Fox was heading for Atlanta, but the Hawks
can't give him any more than the Lakers can. With the exception, new under
collective bargaining agreement, the Lakers could offer Fox a $6 million,
three-year deal.

Fox has received more lucrative offers, but money doesn't seem to be his top
concern. ``We've had a number of talks with him and he's expressed a desire to
stay here," West said.

With Fox off the table, I would have to think Atlanta's next options are
Ceballos or Dennis Scott. But the AP also reports that Club Ced wants to
re-sign with the Mavericks, and Nellie wants him back.

3. Magic's talks with Isaac Austin dragging on

ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando Magic General Manager John Gabrielheld a private
meeting with agent Paco Belassen late Monday night at an undisclosed Orlando
location as the two attempted to finalize a dealfor center Ike Austin.

The Magic are trying to convince Belassen to accept a three-year, $15 million
deal for Austin, a free agent who made $327,000 last season as a member of the
Miami Heat and Los Angeles Clippers. Belassen also is exploring options from
teams that are expected to have more salary-cap room for the 1999-2000 season
when the cap rises from $30 million to $34 million. Austin could settle for a
one-year deal for less money and move to a cap-friendlier team next season.

Austin has stated repeatedly his desire to return to the Eastern Conference
and targeted Orlando as the spot where he'd like to finish his career. It
could take until the end of training camp before a deal is signed. However, a
bigger stumbling block is that the Magic are unable to clear as much cap room
as anticipated. Complicating matters are some of the recent deals agreed to by
other free-agent centers around the league such as Matt Geiger ($8 million
average) and Derrick Coleman ($6 million average).

``Ike Austin is one of the top free agents available,'' Belassen has said.
``It's all in the Magic's hands now. It's just a matter of how badly they want
Ike.''

The $15 million deal proposed by Orlando would eat up all of the Magic's
salary-cap room. ``Some other things are going to have to fall our way in
order for us to accomplish everything we're trying to do,'' Gabriel said.
[Like the Keon Clark/Johnny Taylor trade.]

Austin left Orlando on Sunday, catching a flight to Phoenix to be with his
family. He left like a man who already had his mind made up. ``I'm all about
winning,'' Austin said. ``I've talked to Penny, I've talked to Horace (Grant)
and I've talked to Nick (Anderson), I've talked to Bo (Outlaw) and we're all
on the same page."

Interestingly, Charlie Ward now is saying he might sign with Orlando or
Detroit, calling the atmosphere in New York too unstable (no kidding!). Ron
Harper too is asking the Bulls to trade him.