Marv Albert: Cut Sprewell Some Slack

Marv also wondered how Sprewell would look in garter belts...

It's Time to Cut Sprewell
Some Slack, Says Marv

BY BOB RAISSMAN
NY Daily News Sports Writer
1/20/99

Marv Albert knows how Madison Square Garden management reached out to bring him back a year
after he pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman in an Arlington, Va., hotel room. But after
hearing about the impending arrival of Latrell Sprewell to the Knicks, the veteran voice
wasn't drawing any parallels.

"I don't necessarily put myself in the same position. I didn't look at it (the Sprewell situation)
like that," Albert said yesterday. "I know you are never going to erase what he did, but I know he's
not a bad guy."

Albert said this knowing full well the ramifications for Sprewell since he choked P.J. Carlesimo,
and the reaction fans will have to a Knicks management team that has never tolerated misconduct by
its players.

"I don't want to come off as defending Sprewell because what he did was unconscionable," Albert said.
"What he did was terrible, but certainly I'm going to believe in a second chance. I don't think he
should get a life sentence."

Albert looked back on a couple of former Knicks — Anthony Mason and Rod Strickland — who were exiled
primarily because of behavior problems. In Mason's case, Albert said, there was a consistent pattern
of incidents on and off the court. As for Strickland, it was more about a guy who couldn't conform to
rules like showing up on time and attending practices.

"You didn't really hear anything really troubling about Sprewell until the incident," Albert said.
"Yes, he didn't get along with some teamates like Tim Hardaway but that doesn't mean anything
because a lot of players don't get along."

For Sprewell, the great equalizer could be time. Albert knows what it's like to be under media scrutiny
and Sprewell can expect the same. "Upfront, this will obviously be the subject of editorials and talk shows
there's no question," Albert said. "It won't let up until the Knicks start playing and he shows, hopefully,
that he can be a model citizen."

When Albert was hired back by MSG, he was asked if he would feel umcomfortable offering on-air opinions on
"SportsDesk" concerning players who had off-the-court problems. He said it would not be a problem for him.
Last night, before going on the air, he was asked if he would offer his feelings on Sprewell.

"I would say what I'm telling you," he said. "I'm not going to shy away from it. The bottom line is we all
will have to see what happens."

<snip>

Original Publication Date: 01/20/1999