                  Boston Herald

                  Stewart a possible addition
                  Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett

                  Wednesday, January 20, 1999

                  With the Travis Knight for Tony Battie deal done and
                  Popeye Jones and Antoine Walker ready to sign new
                  contracts, the Celtic wheels were still turning last
                  night.

                  Michael Stewart, thought to be ready to sign in Toronto,
                  was expected in Boston late last night to meet with club
                  officials.

                  Stewart and agent Bill Duffy spent yesterday speaking with
                  the Raptors, but word is that Toronto is offering the
                  lesser of the two exceptions ($1 million, with the $1.75
                  million slot ticketed for Alvin Williams). That means the
                  Celts could swoop in on the 6-foot-10 shot blocker with
                  the higher figure.

                  Celtics president and coach Rick Pitino and his people
                  weren't kidding when they said after last season that
                  inside help was the club's primary need. Including Jones,
                  who didn't play because of knee surgery after being
                  acquired from Toronto last February, the Celts could have
                  four new bodies under the boards when camp opens (tomorrow
                  at the earliest, as the last details of the new collective
                  bargaining agreement drag out.)

                  Dwayne Schintzius is expected to come in for the minimum
                  and try to fill the need for a large body to lean on the
                  bigger foes. Marlon Garnett, a 6-foot-2 guard from Santa
                  Clara, is the only smaller player in town looking for a
                  spot.

                  The gamble on Schintzius, 30, is seen as worthwhile by the
                  club. After sitting out last year because of ankle
                  surgery, he is in good shape and may be ready to get his
                  career in order.

                  While unable to discuss free agents and deals in anything
                  more than general terms, Pitino talked yesterday about
                  teams in the division getting larger (Jim McIlvaine to New
                  Jersey, Matt Geiger to Philadelphia, Isaac Austin likely
                  to Orlando).

                  ``We need athleticism to combat that, but we also need
                  size,'' Pitino said. ``Our opposition's getting a lot
                  stronger. We can't get caught left in the dust with
                  size.''

                  Trade clears room

                  The Knight deal is a positive step for the Celts on two
                  fronts. In addition to picking up Battie, who struggled
                  with the tougher NBA game at times as a rookie but could
                  fare better in Pitino's system, the trade also provides
                  better flexibility.

                  Knight had six years and $20.4 million left on his
                  seven-year contract, while Battie will make a 50-game
                  prorated amount of his $2,238,960 this season and
                  $2,530,920 next. At that point, the C's will have a better
                  handle on whether to keep him. Even if Battie and the
                  Celts part company, they may have some cash to spend in
                  the marketplace.

                  ``I think it's a good trade for us,'' said Walker after
                  ticking off his teammates by begging for fouls during
                  scrimmages. ``We're definitely going to miss Travis'
                  outside shooting in the system we run, but it brings us a
                  more athletic shot blocker.

                  ``I think (Knight) liked playing for Del Harris and the
                  Lakers. But Boston's been good to him. He got his contract
                  here and now he gets to go back out there. The Lakers have
                  always been one of the top contenders in the West, so it's
                  a good situation for him.''

                  As for Walker's calls, Jones said: ``I tell you what,
                  Antoine's rough. I told him, `You were cheating all day.'
                  I (stole the ball from) him one time and he called a foul.
                  He said, `No, you didn't foul me, but the move was too
                  good to not call a foul.' ''

                  Replied the competitive Walker: ``Oh, I am a cheater. I
                  admit it.''

                  Players become antsy

                  There is displeasure among the players with the failure to
                  get the agreement on paper. The word from the NBA last
                  night was that camps, originally set to begin last Sunday
                  or Monday at the latest, now won't open until tomorrow at
                  the earliest.

                  ``We spent six or seven months waiting to see what we were
                  going to do and now we're waiting again,'' said Ron
                  Mercer. ``Hopefully everything will get worked out and
                  we'll get started.''

                  It's troubling to rookie Paul Pierce.

                  ``Every day they're saying it's the next day. Then I come
                  in and they still haven't gotten it done,'' he said.
                  ``It's a little frustrating. We've got an exhibition game
                  next week (Tuesday in Toronto).

                  ``I haven't played in an official game in almost a year,
                  so I'm very anxious to get out there. I hope it starts
                  real fast so I can get some experience under my belt. It's
                  going to hurt me if we start playing and I haven't really
                  learned the system.''

                  Walker thinks otherwise.

                  ``I love him,'' Walker said of the No. 10 overall pick
                  from last June. ``I love a guy who's very athletic.''