Re: Schintzius, I like it! -Reply

>He came as a highly recruited freshman.  As a sophmore he was part of
>a team (w/ Vernon Maxwell & Andrew Motem) that was 3 blown layups
>from beating the Syracuse Orangmen (who had Derrick Coleman, Rony
>Seikaly & Sherm Douglas) and advancing to the final four. <<<
>

>Mark:
>
>I'm afraid that you're recollection is tainted by selective memory.  Three
>blown layups away from advancing to the final four?  More like,
>Syracuse killed Florida inside behind Rony Seikaly's career high 36 points
>scored directly against Dwayne Schintzius, who before the game stated
>that he planned on "...pump faking Seikaly into foul trouble."  Vernon
>Maxwell kept the game interesting with a superlative display of offense
>(he also had something like 32 points), but U of F had to come from way
>behind in the second half to even make this one close.

The score (again maybe my memory is tainted (I was about 15 at the time))
was 88-81.  I remember the local news showing 3 blown, wide-open layups (2
by Mad Max, 1 by Ronnie Montgomery).  I'm not talking missed shots, I'm
talking blown gimmies!  I do remember Seikaly eating up Dwayne (and
Dwayne's statements pregame) but add the 6 points from layups and a missed
free throw here and there and UF's advancing against the eventual national
runner-up....that was my basic point, that Dwayne's team just missed
advancing (I thought it was final four b/c they had played 3 games - you're
right I was selectively remembering that!  :-)

That Vernon Maxwell may have (according to NCAA allegations) been snorting
coke (he's been taken out of the UF record books) the night before probably
couldn't have helped.

>Since you seem to know so much about Schintzius, what happened
>during his stint with the Nets?  I remember him playing relatively well
>behind Sam Bowie several years ago, and then he was out of the league
>for quite some time?

Again, if I remember correctly (I do try to keep up with the former
Gators), he was motivated playing under Chuck Daly.  Early in his career he
did have a lot of back problems.  It appears that he was basically a number
casualty on a NJ team that had Mahorn, Jayson Williams, Benoit Benjamin.

P.S. For those of you who are absolute BBall gurus.  I'm a NBA hack, but
don't know much about college,CBA or Europe.  Does anyone know what
happened to Dan Cross, the starting PG on the Florida Gators 1994 Final
Four team.  Last I heard he was playing in Europe and the M.L. Carr Celtics
& Sac Kings were talking about bringing him in for a workout/tryout.
Mark Piotrowski
Registrar,
Northwestern University Prosthetic-Orthotic Center
345 E. Superior St.
Room. 1712
Chicago, IL 60611

(312) 908-8006