Schintzius, I like it! -Reply

>>> Mark Piotrowski <pio@nwu.edu> 01/19/99 12:17pm >>>
He came as a highly recruited freshman.  As a sophmore he was part of
a team (w/ Vernon Maxwell & Andrew Motem) that was 3 blown layups
from beating the Syracuse Orangmen (who had Derrick Coleman, Rony
Seikaly & Sherm Douglas) and advancing to the final four. <<<

Mark:

I'm afraid that you're recollection is tainted by selective memory.  Three
blown layups away from advancing to the final four?  More like,
Syracuse killed Florida inside behind Rony Seikaly's career high 36 points
scored directly against Dwayne Schintzius, who before the game stated
that he planned on "...pump faking Seikaly into foul trouble."  Vernon
Maxwell kept the game interesting with a superlative display of offense
(he also had something like 32 points), but U of F had to come from way
behind in the second half to even make this one close.

Also, this was only a game to determine who went to the elite
eight--Syracuse went on to play North Carolina in the Meadowlands
before advancing to the final four.

If you think Schintzius is worth a shot...I'm willing to wait and see before
condemning.  I suppose that the Celtics have nothing to lose, since they'd
be inviting him in as a free agent to camp.  If he pans out, pennies from
heaven.  If not, the team is no worse off.

Since you seem to know so much about Schintzius, what happened
during his stint with the Nets?  I remember him playing relatively well
behind Sam Bowie several years ago, and then he was out of the league
for quite some time?

Ryan