Re: Tony Battie

OK, let's not get carried away with what Tony Battie is.  He has grown
since entering college, but not that much.  Here's a bio written after
he was drafted by the Nuggets.  For the whole thing, check out
http://www.nba.com/nuggets/00387363.html.  How much he has grown since
then, I don't know.

The first thing you need to know about Tony Battie, the player, is that
he is not a 7-footer. He's not even 6-11 ... or 6-10.
      "I'd say he's maybe a hair under 6-10," Nuggets coach Bill Hanzlik
acknowledged.
      Know this, as well: Hanzlik doesn't care, even if Battie ends up
starting at the center spot, opposite David Robinson, in the Oct. 31
regular-season opener against San Antonio.
      "The thing we like most about Tony is his athleticism," Hanzlik
said. "In our system, you've got to be able to run the court. To be
effective, you need four or five guys running the floor every time, and
I think he can do that. He's quick, he can jump. OK, he's not a
7-footer, but he's almost 6-10, and he's just got loads of potential.
We'll have to see what we can get out of him.
      "He will at times guard centers, but to classify him as a classic
center, I don't look at him like that."
      The Nuggets are going back to the system that produced good
results in the Doug Moe era of the 1980s, playing a motion offense and
fast breaking at every opportunity. Classic centers need not apply.
Smaller, athletic pivots should expect to thrive.
      "He's certainly going to be able to play center against maybe half
the league," Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Allan
Bristow said, "as far as being able to hold his own. There will be times
he can be utilized at the four spot, too. A lot depends on the style of
play. Just him getting comfortable in the system will determine where he
plays. The center spot would be the easiest for him to learn right now,
and he'll find it easier to get his shot off against centers, and he
should be able to beat most centers down the floor.
      "His quickness and running speed for a big man are excellent. In
an up-tempo game he should be able utilize that to advantage. And he can
shoot the ball from 10 to 14 feet. He's got shot blocking ability, too.
Physically, he's only got one way to go, and that's to get stronger. The
way he has improved the last two years, if he continues at that growth
curve, and his learning curve, learning the game, he should be a very
good player in the NBA."
      Battie was recruited to Texas Tech as a 6-7 small forward. As
such, he had focused on his ballhandling and shooting skills, aware of
the small forward's role.
      By the time he reported to his first practice session at Tech, he
was a tad taller than 6-8.
      "I just had a late growth spurt," Battie said. "But I had the same
skills I had as a small forward, even though I was bigger."
      Today, he isn't entirely sure he has stopped growing. Certainly,
he can carry more weight on his skinny frame.

>From: eestes@kearney.net (Erik Estes)
>To: "Warwick" <giants@eisa.net.au>
>Cc: <Celtics@igtc.com>
>Subject: Tony Battie
>Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:32:46 -0600
>
>	Did you all know that Battie went to Texas Tech as a guard??  He was
>something like 6'3" (give or take a few inches) when he entered
college.
>He then grew to be in the 6'10" range.  And became a force in the
middle.
>With great rebounding and shot blocking ability.
>	My point is that if Battie is still growing to be in the 7'0" range,
then
>he still hasn't even totally grown into his body.  And when he does...I
>hope the C's are the team that has him!!  He will be a stud in the
future.
>A big center who plays great defense, will develop even better inside
>skills and will run the court like most small forwards.  If we get
Battie,