Walker on WEEI

Walker was just on with Eddie and Dale (fortunately I'm not actually on a
first name basis with them), and he was saying all of the right things.
He stated twice that he wants to be a Celtic for the rest of his career,
and he hopes to have his extension signed within 48 hours.  He credited
Pitino with getting him to where he is today and said that even after he
gets his big contract he will still listen to his coach.  The last part
was in response to Eddie's question about many NBA players slacking off
and not respecting their coach's after they sign a big contract.  They
asked about Battie and Walker said he is very athletic and fits into the
system well.  He also said the same thing about Pierce, adding that he is
a very good shooter and good slasher.

I haven't seen Battie play that much, but this is a very good trade.
Travis Knight for me would be a good deal if I only had two years left on
my contract.  I remember after the 97 draft Pitino was asked why he didn't
take Battie.  Pitino said he liked him, but he plays the same position as
Antoine and didn't want to use a lottery pick on a player who wouldn't
start.  The good thing about this trade for Battie is that he doesn't come
here as a lottery pick (and hence "potential all-star") but just as the
guy we got for Travis Knight.... I have a feeling Dontae may be included
in the deal to make up for Knight's base year compensation differential.

Since my Elden Campbell trade idea has been rendered obsolete.  Here are
two new ones:

Dana Barros to the Clipppers (who need a point guard) for Stojko
Vrankovic. Stojko's been with us before so I don't need to tell you that
he'll make us an instant contender....  And if somehow that doesn't
happen, his contract is up at the end of the year.  That will help us
create cap room to go after Dampier or Ilgauskas next summer.

I agree with Warwick that Popeye will be traded after he signs his three
year $8M deal.  But his trade won't work because Popeye's base year
compensation value will be around $800K.  I see Popeye being traded to
Cleveland for Vitale Potapenko since he has already been mentioned in
official trade rumors.

Jeremy