Marc Cofman On Ron Mercer

                  Boston Herald

                  Celtics' Mercer ready to rebound
                  by Mark Cofman

                  Wednesday, January 13, 1999

                  Ron Mercer isn't sure what the NBA can do to win back fans
                  it might have lost because of the six-month lockout. In
                  fact, the Celtics guard, making his first appearance at
                  Brandeis yesterday for voluntary workouts, said he'd
                  entertain suggestions.

                  ``I don't know what we can do - I was hoping you guys
                  could tell me that,'' said Mercer, standing in the middle
                  of a sea of reporters. ``I guess we have to think of
                  something quickly.''

                  With much of the damage to the league's image already
                  done, about the best thing Mercer and his teammates can do
                  to regain local support is make sure they're prepared for
                  the regular season, which begins Feb. 5. The former
                  Kentucky star apparently did his part during the lockout.
                 ``I'm in great shape,'' said Mercer, who averaged 15.3
                  points per game en route to All-Rookie first-team league
                  honors last season. ``I've been running hard, doing some
                  track work and lifting weights. I tried to do different
                  things to prepare myself as best I could for the season.''

                  Mercer continued to develop his basketball skills by
                  working out with a variety of pros and college players in
                  Baton Rouge, La., and by playing pickup games around
                  California. He also participated in a pro-am summer league
                  in Houston to maintain something of a competitive edge. It
                  wasn't the NBA, but Mercer figured it was the best he
                  could do under the circumstances.

                 ``It was really tough at times,'' he said, referring to
                  the lockout. ``It was frustrating not to be with my
                  teammates and not to be on the court playing the game that
                  we love. We just had to do our best to substitute for
                  that, playing on the playgrounds or whatever and hoping
                  there would be a season.''

                  Like many of his teammates, Mercer learned of the
                  11th-hour labor settlement on Wednesday as he arrived for
                  a union meeting in New York. Eventually, his thoughts
                  turned to the fans, who sat idly while the owners and
                  players union fought over their piece of the league's $2
                  billion revenue pie.

                  Mercer, who stands to lose money on his next contract as a
                  result of the new collective bargaining agreement, figured
                  the league has some apologizing to do as it begins a
                  makeshift season. For his part, Mercer said he was mostly
                  happy and relieved to finally be back on the Celtics'
                  practice court.

                  ``Of course we'll go out and play hard but we need the
                  fans to be there from the first game on,'' he said.

                  ``We're kind of searching for answers right now, hoping
                  the fans will come out and support us even though half the
                  season is already missed.

                  ``I know I'm going to try to think of some ways to reach
                  out to the fans to show them we're grateful for their
                  support.''