all-time best team? give me magic, bird, jordan, bill walton, and bill
russell, with jabbar, mchale, tiny archibald, barkley, baylor, dr. j,
and others coming off the bench.

---The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest
<Celtics-Digest-Owner@igtc.com> wrote:

> The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest
>  Tuesday, January 12 1999 Volume 06 : Number 016
>

> In this issue:
>
> 	Peter May - Fooey
> 	Peter Vecsey: Celtics Will Go After Michael Stewart And Other
Enteraining Items
> 	Peter Vecsey: Celtics Will Go After Michael Stewart And Other
Enteraining Items
> 	Celtics Aren't Getting Mark Strickland
> 	Pierce Thinks God Wanted Him To Be A Celtic
> 	Ellison's Agent Somewhat Upset With The Celtics
> 	Jordan to Retire
> 	Jordan to Retire -Reply
> 	Jordan Retiring?
> 	Re: Jordan to Retire
> 	Popeye
> 	RE: Jordan Retiring?
> 	RE: Jordan Retiring?
> 	Malone
> 	Bull
> 	Jordan's Next Job
> 	What?
> 	Re: Jordan's Next Job
> 	Re: What?
> 	vescey article

> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:31:03 -0800
> From: "FrannieG" <frannieg@mako.com>
> Subject: Peter May - Fooey
>
> Of course we should sign Antoine Walker.  He's a young kid and you
expect
> him to say and do stupid things.  He's an all-star and will get
better.
> Peter May should stop trying to drum up conflict.
>
> Lance Gee
> Colusa, CA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:10:55 -0500
> From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Peter Vecsey: Celtics Will Go After Michael Stewart And
Other Enteraining Items

> Some interesting stuff by Vecsey today, including the fact,
> the Spurs have dropped out of the Sprewell hunt, but Miami's
> hanging right in, with a package of Brent Barry, Jamal Mashburn,
> and Voshun Lenard.  If the Warriors do the deal with Miami,
> it won't be long before Mashburn ends up in Boston....
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 05:43:55 -0500
> From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Peter Vecsey: Celtics Will Go After Michael Stewart And
Other Enteraining Items

> - --------------4DC9556D343E
>
> > Some interesting stuff by Vecsey today, including the fact,
> > the Spurs have dropped out of the Sprewell hunt, but Miami's
> > hanging right in, with a package of Brent Barry, Jamal Mashburn,
> > and Voshun Lenard.  If the Warriors do the deal with Miami,
> > it won't be long before Mashburn ends up in Boston....
>
> - --------------4DC9556D343E
>

>                                [New York Post]
>                                    SPORTS
>

>                                                       COACHES BETTER
SAY NO

>                     By PETER VECSEY

>                     ACCORDING to the new collective bargaining
agreement, the players aren't the only ones
>                     who must submit to random drug testing - which
now includes marijuana and steroids, as
>                     well as cocaine and heroin - by the NBA.
>
>                     During the preseason, anybody and everybody
sitting on the bench - coaches and trainers -
>                     must, upon request, give a urine sample once.
When the season begins, rookies and only
>                     rookies are subject to random testing on two
other occasions.

>                     'That's the best we could do," a league official
said. "The union wouldn't consent to go
>                     any further. It's not great, but it's better
than before. Naturally, if we feel there's
>                     reasonable cause we have a process in place that
allows us to test a particular person."
>                     *
>
>                     CONTRARY to an initial report, Ray Allen's name
has not surfaced in trade discussions
>                     with the Hornets. However, the Bucks, indeed,
are pursuing Anthony Mason as part of a
>                     deal that would include Tyrone Hill.
>
>                     Milwaukee is desperate for an inside force who
demands a double team and makes it pay
>                     with precision passing. Mason loves to pass and
play defense, two things you must be
>                     willing and able to do to play important minutes
for George Karl.

>                     Mason's downside, it has been alleged, is his
intolerance for everyone's imperfections
>                     except his own. That explains why most Hornets'
people, exempting GM Bob Bass, would
>                     celebrate his departure. For some strange
reason, coach Dave Cowens and the rest of the
>                     team is a tad tired of being confronted and
cursed each time Mason deems them unworthy.

>                     Geez, that's not the Anthony Mason we know so
well from his many appearances at central
>                     booking. *
>
>                     KARL Malone is now telling Jazz owner Larry
Miller he's not coming back unless he gets
>                     Olympic Committee money, reports column
castigator Frank Drucker.

>                     Supposedly the Spurs have dropped out of the
Latrell Sprewell chase. Unless, of course,
>                     GM/coach Gregg Popovich locates a third team who
can sufficiently compensate the Warriors
>                     and whom the Spurs, in turn, can satisfy.
>
>                     That leaves the Knicks (Chris Mills and Chris
Childs), Heat (Jamal Mashburn, Vashon
>                     Lenard and a re-signed Brent Barry) and the
Pacers (either Dale or Antonio Davis in
>                     addition to two others in order to match
Sprewell's $8.3 million salary).

>                     It's interesting to note how closely Patrick
Ewing's negotiating technique parallels his
>                     leadership on the court. When it came to crunch
time in the boardroom and the game room
>                     he disappeared. *
>
>                     SOURCES say Jerry Reinsdorf called Kevin
Loughery over the weekend and extended one final
>                     invitation to return to the Bulls as coach
before turning the job over to Tim Floyd.

>                     In the history of the league there probably
haven't been more than five situations, if
>                     that, where a team signed a player, then
immediately traded him for the express purpose
>                     of circumventing salary cap rules.
>
>                     Last season's Chris Dudley deal is the obvious
example. The Blazers signed their own free
>                     agent to a one-year pact, then sent him to the
Knicks (earning a No. 1 pick as
>                     co-conspirator), who may re-sign the backup
center for whatever they feel is appropriate.
>                     Or whatever was verbally agreed upon at the time
by management and Dudley's agent.
>                     Whichever is greater.
>
>                     To prohibit such skullduggery, the league now
requires a team to sign a player for no
>                     less than three years if his Bird rights are to
be retained in any future trade.

>                     There's one catch: Teams may re-sign their own
free agents and re-route them without any
>                     time restriction. However, if a team signs
somebody else's free agent it must wait a
>                     minimum of six months before he's eligible to be
traded.

>                     Apparently John Thompson was next on Larry
Flynt's Washington hit list.

>                     The Nets all but had Chris Gatling traded to the
Grizzlies before the league shocked
>                     everyone by establishing a $30M cap figure for
the abbreviated season, about $3-to-4M
>                     lower than predicted. The result of that and
other unexpected cap charges translates into
>                     less money to offer outside free agents.
>
>                     "A lot of teams have changed strategy
overnight," said Magic GM John Gabriel. "I think
>                     you'll see a lot of us bringing back last
season's players, maybe adding one or two
>                     lower-priced free agents to the mix."
>
>                     It's not as if management of capped teams
doesn't have options at its disposal to
>                     improve. It's not as if there isn't money
available to spend on a middle class ($1.75M)
>                     exception, a minimum exception ($1M) and a
veteran ($1M) minimum. And it's not as if the
>                     GMs are hesitant (excuse me for laughing in
David Falk's face for wondering whether teams
>                     will use the exceptions) to spend whatever's
available.

>                     In fact, if the GMs, agents and players get
their way, and a middle-class exception
>                     signing is allowed to be extended over six years
(the league is arguing for three; the
>                     issue remains unresolved as negotiations
continue), a capped team could still spend
>                     $16-to-17M per season.
>
>                     Two summers ago, Kevin Johnson had all but
officially retired, but the Suns gave him
>                     seven million reasons to return last season. Now
K.J. is in search of another couple of
>                     million reasons to make another comeback,
perhaps with the Lakers ... Look for the
>                     Celtics to reach out for Kings free agent
Michael Stewart should Sacramento make a big
>                     play, as is expected, for Vlade Divac.
>
>                     Maverick boss Don Nelson likes Sonic free agent
Sam Perkins almost as much as the Pacers
>                     do. And why not? Sudden Sam probably hit as many
big shots (maybe not game winners, but
>                     3-pointers to catch up or keep his team ahead by
a little) as Sonic teammate Gary Payton
>                     over the last few years ... The name of Suns
free agent John Williams is on the lips of
>                     every GM who cares about one-on-one post defense
and a rational voice to mentor
>                     youngsters on the court and in the locker room.
>
>                     <snip>
> - --------------4DC9556D343E--

> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:04:11 -0500
> From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>