Peter May: Ellison Unlikely To Play This Season

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                CELTICS NOTEBOOK
                                Don't count on him

                                Ellison is unlikely to play this season

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 01/09/99

                                It's been a year and two days since Pervis Ellison badly sprained his
                                        right ankle. Since then, he had countless rehabilitation sessions,
                                played eight NBA games, could not get into proper shape, and finally, two
                                months ago, underwent surgery.

                                Yesterday Celtics coach Rick Pitino said he does not expect to have Ellison
                                available for the truncated 1998-99 season.

                                ''He's going through rehab now,'' Pitino said, ''but I would seriously doubt
                                that he'd be back for the season. If he did get back, then he would have to
                                get into playing shape, and that might only be for the tail end. It's not
                                impossible, but it's doubtful.''

                                It may be that Pitino is hoping Ellison isn't able to play, which might free
                                up some space to bring in another body. If the injury exception remains the
                                same in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Celtics would be able
                                to spend one-half of Ellison's salary ($1.21 million) on a new player.

                                Ellison decided to have the surgery last November during the lockout when
                                his ankle failed to respond to therapy. He is in the fifth year of a
                                six-year deal.

                                Efforts to reach Ellison's agent, Bill Strickland, for comment were
                                unsuccessful.

                                Rescue mission

                                Pitino said the new deal is a lifesaver for the Celtics. ''In pure economic
                                terms, we were in trouble,'' he said of the possibility of open-ended
                                salaries under the old deal. ''It would have been difficult for the Boston
                                Celtics to survive and for probably half the league.'' ... Pitino again
                                defended Antoine Walker, whom, he reminded everyone, ''I know better than
                                anyone in this room.'' He said the only time Walker was mentioned in trade
                                talk, it was because of the Celtics' concern about re-signing him. With the
                                new limits in place, that no longer is a concern (at least not to Pitino).
                                ''I recruited him. I wanted him,'' Pitino said. ''I think he's going to be a
                                big part of our future and something to build on.'' ... The Celtics plan to
                                have four ''people's practices'' around New England during training camp.
                                The dates and times have not been disclosed ... The Celtics will have a
                                ridiculous, road-oriented schedule in February simply because there are no
                                dates available in the FleetCenter. Pitino said the team likely will play at
                                home Feb. 5 and 6, then head out on the road. They have two other dates
                                locked in for the month ... The Celtics' interest in John ''Hot Plate''
                                Williams is not an issue now. Williams, according to Pitino, is playing in
                                Spain. But Pitino did say he liked what he saw of Williams playing in Los
                                Angeles, even though he saw a lot more of Williams (270 pounds) than he
                                wanted ... Speaking of onetime behemoths, Popeye Jones will be in town next
                                week. Pitino said the once-rotund forward is now a svelte 243 with 12
                                percent body fat. Jones will be an interesting free agent test; he's a
                                five-year player, so he falls into the same category as Walker ... Pitino
                                told his players he expects them to be in great shape when camp opens and
                                said, ''I think they know how disappointed I'd be if they weren't.'' Last
                                year's training camp looked more like ''ER,'' with half a dozen players
                                needing IV tubes. ''That was a farce,'' Pitino said. ''We don't expect them
                                to be on IVs this year. And we won't pass them out, either.'' ... Pitino was
                                asked if the lockout had been beneficial on a personal level in that it
                                enabled him to do something he wouldn't otherwise do. After a long pause, he
                                said, ''No.''

                                This story ran on page F05 of the Boston Globe on 01/09/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.