EWING

    I'm having a hard time understanding how Patrick Ewing can possibly be
so dense!  The one thing he wants above everything else in his career right
now is an NBA championship. Has he thought about that, I wonder?  If they
don't accept the League's offer and the season is cancelled, a heck of alot
of good a new league is going to do Mr. Ewing.  By the time they could even
get it up and running he'd be unable to play any longer.  He's been injury
prone the last couple of years, and his time is running out fast.  Not to
mention that a new league's championship wouldn't mean what an NBA one
would.  Geez!  I can't believe the stupidity we're seeing.
    Watching Sportscenter tonight I had the impression they were going to
vote on the League's proposal, but I'm reading here on the list that's not
the case.  Which is it?
    No matter which side you support, there is one truth that nobody can
deny.  The NBA made these guys the stars they are - their system, their
teams, their scouts and above all, their promotion of the players.  I
believe and indeed hope, that if they destroy professional basketball as
we've known it, those highly paid players will spend the rest of their lives
regretting it.  They are like lambs being led to slaughter by a few selfish
agents and Billy Hunter.  I firmly believe a new league will die a quick
death and the NBA will again flourish.  I just hope we don't have to wait
too long while they do it.  When they do it, I also hope they go back to
playing real basketball; offense, defense, team basketball instead of
showtime.
    Oops!  I didn't stay off my soapbox.  I'll have to put that thing away
where I can't find it.

Dorine