Agent: Thomas Not Welcome At Talks

                                          January 4, 1999

                              Agent: Thomas not welcome at talks

                                     by Phil Jasner
                                  Daily News Sports Writer
                       Close still counts in slow dancing and
                       horseshoes, but clearly not when NBA owners
                       negotiate with the National Basketball Players
                       Association.
                       As league commissioner David Stern's scheduled
                       Thursday-morning meetings of the league's labor
                       relations committee and board of governors draw
                       closer, the two sides seem no closer to making a
                       deal that would prevent cancellation of the
                       remainder of the season.

                       Is there anything left that could save Dumb and
                       Dumber?

                       Agent Steve Kauffman spent New Year's weekend at
                       his home in Malibu, Calif., pacing and fuming
                       about the possibility of Isiah Thomas becoming
                       directly involved in the negotiations.

                       Thomas, a former star with the Detroit Pistons,
                       a former president of the players union and a
                       former owner and vice president/general manager
                       of the Toronto Raptors, spent the weekend
                       explaining that he is being asked repeatedly by
                       union members to do just that.

                       For one thing, Kauffman views Thomas --
                       currently an analyst of NBA games for NBC -- as
                       essentially an employee of the league and
                       someone interested in taking over the union.
                       Kauffman also believes that the proposal drafted
                       last Friday by union executive director Billy
                       Hunter should be more than enough to produce an
                       agreement.

                       The union's proposal includes an unprecedented
                       cap on all player salaries. But union
                       authorities insisted they would deliver the
                       proposal only in a full negotiating session.
                       League authorities said they would accept a
                       written offer and pass it on to the labor
                       relations committee.

                       "It would be ludicrous to think the season
                       wouldn't be played under that proposal, unless [
                       the owners ] are under extreme duress from
                       Stern," said Kauffman, who represents the 76ers'
                       Eric Snow, the Indiana Pacers' Dale Davis and 16
                       other players.

                       Kauffman believes it would be equally ludicrous
                       for Thomas to get involved, particularly at such
                       a late date.

                       "That's one thing David Falk, myself and every
                       agent I can think of would agree on, that it
                       would be totally inappropriate that Isiah would
                       try and inject himself into these negotiations,"
                       Kauffman said. "There are others who could do it
                       who are more moderate, more objective. And you
                       shouldn't need someone at all.

                       "I believe Isiah is distrusted and disliked by
                       the majority on one side of the dispute. He's
                       not going to have any influence in this. If the
                       owners don't feel it's close, it's an insult to
                       anyone who knows what's in the union proposal.
                       Except for some minor points, the deals proposed
                       by the two sides are essentially the same.

                       "The only issue I can see is the union's cap of
                       $15 million on a contract for a player with 10
                       years or more of experience, compared to the
                       league's top of $12.25 million. There aren't
                       very many players who will be in the league long
                       enough to get that, maybe a handful. That's
                       significant in a $2 billion pot? If the league
                       can't negotiate off this, it's a disservice to
                       the players and the fans, and if the season goes
                       down over this, the league will look
                       ridiculous."

                       Stern and deputy commissioner Russ Granik
                       contend that the union offer is not close at
                       all, and remain prepared to recommend
                       cancellation of the season. To do that would
                       require a recommendation from the nine-member
                       labor relations committee and 15 votes from the
                       29 representatives on the board of governors.

                       Thomas said he will get involved if he continues
                       to be asked. Former player and coach Quinn
                       Buckner said he also has received a number of
                       calls from players.

                       Thomas said some players have already asked him
                       to go to New York and, at least, help to force
                       the union to allow the players to vote on their
                       destiny. To this point, the union's 19-person
                       negotiating committee has had the full authority
                       to determine whether to bring an offer to the
                       players.

                       "Some players are calling me five times a day,"
                       Thomas said. "These are guys who are afraid to
                       speak for themselves because they're intimidated
                       by the process and the way it's being run. They
                       want the right to vote, and it's falling on deaf
                       ears."

                       Thomas said his role with NBC should not be seen
                       as a conflict of interests.

                       "No, because I'm a former president of the
                       union, and because the players have come to me,"
                       he said.

                       He declined to name any of the players.

                       "I've gotten calls from agents, too, who have
                       said they don't like the way Falk has been
                       running things," Thomas said.

                       Falk, the super-agent who represents union
                       president Patrick Ewing and vice presidents
                       Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning and Juwan
                       Howard, has said he is merely exercising his
                       right to counsel his clients.

                       "I've said all along that if there's bad
                       chemistry at the table, the faces need to
                       change," Thomas said. "It's clear to me that
                       none of the agendas out there are in the best
                       interests of the players. It's been the owners
                       vs. Falk, with the players used as pawns. I put
                       13 years into the union, I don't think Falk has
                       put in one day, other than to try and decertify
                       it [ in 1995 ] ."

                       Thomas also wondered about Falk's supposed
                       interest in starting a new league.

                       "I'd say, 'Go start your league, but give us
                       back our NBA. Don't hold us hostage,' " he said.
                       "I know we have a damn good league now, one
                       that's a $2 billion partnership. A new league
                       could be good for Falk and his clients, but you
                       can't tell me he cares about all the players."

                       At the same time, Thomas is more than distressed
                       that the players have already lost nearly $600
                       million in salaries and have agreed to an escrow
                       system and longer contracts for first-round
                       draft choices.

                       "If you're losing money for your players and you
                       can't get it back, it's a bad fight," Thomas
                       said. "Don't try and sell me on unity if you've
                       lost all of that.

                       "I think there are some agents who are holding
                       onto a dream that they can package -- sell --
                       players to a new league. That's sell players,
                       without the players participating in the revenue
                       created. I thought they outlawed that in the
                       1800s."

                             ©1999 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.