Marbury

Regarding speculation on Stephon Marbury bolting the Wolves for NY, this
was in today's NY Daily News on-line.

Marbury: NY Not in Plans

By FRANK ISOLA
Daily News Sports Writer

Stephon Marbury is the point guard just about everyone in
New York wants to have passing the ball to Patrick Ewing
next season. But Marbury sent a discouraging message to
Knicks fans on the day of his only regular-season appearance at
the Garden this year.

"There is no way that will happen," said Marbury, who scored 20
points in the Knicks' 115-113 victory over Minnesota, including
the bucket that sent the game into overtime.

"Playing for the Knicks is not realistic.
Playing for Chicago is just a myth.
Playing in Minnesota is where I think
I'm going to win a championship."

When informed that Minnesota could
execute a sign-and-trade agreement
with the Knicks this summer, the
Coney Island native smiled and said,
"They don't have anyone that
Minnesota would want for me. I don't think (GM) Kevin McHale
is that stupid."

Marbury, who will become a free agent on July 1, sounded
nothing like the player who last year was dying to return to New
York. Of course, agent David Falk probably convinced Marbury
to cease talking about how brutal the winter months can be in
Minneapolis. Why insult the team or city that could pay him as
much as $86 million in August?

"By me getting older I'm just getting accustomed to Minnesota,"
Marbury said. "It's starting to become a part of life. I'm starting to
see it's more like a business. When I finally realized that it was a
business I looked at my options and said to myself, 'I'm working
right now and have my free time in the summer.' I'm able to look at
Minnesota and see it totally different."

Still, Marbury insists on waiting until after the season to discuss
re-signing with the Timberwolves. Several players in Marbury's
draft class of 1996 — Allen Iverson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim,
Antoine Walker and Ray Allen — have already signed for the
maximum $71 million that their respective clubs can give them.

"I'm different from everybody else," he said. "That's what makes
me Stephon Marbury."