Re: Marbury

I've been meaning to chime in on this for a while...

>"There is no way that will happen," said Marbury, who scored 20
>points in the Knicks' 115-113 victory over Minnesota, including
>the bucket that sent the game into overtime.
>
>"Playing for the Knicks is not realistic.
>Playing for Chicago is just a myth.
>Playing in Minnesota is where I think
>I'm going to win a championship."

I realize that fans in NY and CHI (including the bonehead sportswriters
there) drool over rebuilding each of their pathetic franchises around
Marbury, but I think his leaving Minnesota would be the single dumbest move
ever by a player.

If he goes to NY, he plays with Ewing for 1-2 years then they suck.  He's
constantly under the hometown pressure (as if NY wasn't pressure enough).
I just don't see it.

If he goes to CHI, so what.  They're going to suck for the next decade w/
or w/o S. Marbury.  He's not going to turn them around.  It'll be like
Iverson's first 2 years with the Sixers - a great PG and no talent.  Krause
is an idiot.

At either place he'd be making less money than Minnesota too (McHale is
obviously not doing any sign and trade deals).

Finally, and most importantly, I think that if you gave me the choice of
who will win the 2001 or 2002 Championship I really would have to pick
Minnesota (as crazy as that sounds) - of course only if they have Marbury.
They are a strong 9-3 this year already.  I fully expect Joe Smith to re-up
with them at the end of the year (reports are that he loves it there) and
is putting up great numbers.  Garnett will probably average a triple-double
one of these years and Marbury will be leading the whole gang.  Getting
Garrett back was the key (along with Smith).  They just didn't play as well
w/o a serviceable center (i.e. Stanley Roberts).

Great pickups in the last year too with Anthony Peeler, Bobby Jackson, &
Malik Sealy.  McHale hasn't been as vocal as a GM as say Pitino or Riley
but I think he's a GREAT GM.  (Hell, just getting rid of Donyell Marshall
made him Damn Good.)

Marbury would be an idiot to leave Minnesota.  He's going to make millions
whereever he plays but there are very few places that he's going to have
the chance to win a championship.

-Mark