What's wrong????

OK, something's wrong with the Celtics.  But what?  3-5 wouldn't be so
bad considering the schedule, if two of the three wins weren't so
unconvincing.  They're playing pretty poor ball, there's no doubt about
it.  I guess we could all just pin it all on Pitino's inability to coach
at the pro level and be done with it.  Of course, then we'd all slit our
wrists and there'd be no one left to carry on these engrossing
discussions.  So, here are my thoughts on a few problem areas.

Antoine Walker:  Claims about his ego causing problems this year seem
totally groundless to me.  He seems to be deliberately taking a lesser
role in the offense and that's the way it has to be.  I also don't think
there's anything to the claims that Kenny's not trying to get him the
ball as much as the others.  With the addition of Paul Pierce, Antoine
seems to be taking far fewer outside shots.  If Pierce were a 6'11"
inside player, Antoine would have probably moved outside more.  That's
the great thing about him, he has so many options.  The problem I see,
though, is that his inside moves have been awful this year.  His shot's
getting blocked far too often.  Someone on the list said a while ago,
"it's called a fake, Antoine, try using one".  His inside game is based
on speed.  He hasn't learned that, once his speed gets him by the guy,
he needs to take his time.  He's either taking the ball up too quickly
and getting blocked, or rushing wide open shots and blowing layups.
Also, at times I believe he's the only player in the league that gets
called for travelling.  Antoine needs to spend every waking moment
becoming more comfortable with his post up moves.  Instead of a shooting
coach, this team needs a big man coach to teach back to the basket
moves.  With Pierce's range and ability to drive, there's no reason he
and 'Toine couldn't run an awesome half court 2 man game.  And, with
Mercer waiting on the weak side to punish the double teams, forget about
it.

Kenny Anderson:  Out of shape?  Being asked to think more about defense
than ever?  Just plain rusty?  I'll believe any of these.

Center:  They all suck, we know that.  But they sucked last year too,
and the team managed to put together some decent games.  This is a
problem that needs to be addressed, but it is not the cause of their
current poor play.

Chemistry:  I think there's been a greater change to the overall team
than was evident at first.  Paul Pierce is a terrific player, but he has
changed the entire teams offense.  Unfortunately that means the team
needs to figure out how to use each other effectively again.  Remember
how bad they played in the stretch after opening night last year?

If I were Pitino:  I'd try starting Bowen and Anderson together, with
Mercer giving the bench some scoring punch.  I'd think about resting
some bench players for whole games, especially once Walter gets back.
I'd start looking for college points with some size and a decent shot
and let them come along slowly behind Kenny.  I'd stockpile second round
draft picks and draft every foreign player over 6'10" I could find.

Jim