Re: Scott Pollard

I disagree.  It's not the system's fault, but the Celtic
players manning the system.  In order for the press to be effective
you need a point guard who can stop the opposing point guard from
penetrating on a whim, something Kenny can't do.  You need a shot-
blocking center or a least a space-eater, who can be somewhat of a
deterrent to easy hoops, which the C's don't have.
And a beefy, but mobile power forward who can block out offensive
rebounders, something Antoine/McCarty/Battie are not.

Although Pitino may lessen the frequency of the press or even modify
it somewhat, it ain't going anywhere... But there's going to be
some players headed elsewhere, as Pitino seeks the missing
parts to his system.  The trading deadline is
March 11, and I really hope they move out Barros.  I say free up the
cap space and try to pick up a mid to late first for him from
from a contending team, that needs an outside shooter coming off the
bench.  Try to get Popeye at least looking presentable, so that
he's dealable by the deadline.  And someone please put Greg Minor to
sleep.

While I don't see a mega-major deal happening between now and the
trading deadline, the same thought does not carry toward draft time,
when I expect another small forward/shooting guard to be drafted in
the lottery -- Odom, Szczerbiak, Quincy Lewis, Shawn Marion, Jamel
Thomas, Richard Hamilton, Jumaine Jones -- and Walker or Mercer
moved for a center.
MG

damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

> >After watching today's game I have given up on Ricky. He has won at
college
> >levels, but I am sorry; this is not college ball and the same
tricks won't
> >work here........
> >The fault has to lie with the
> >system he is running, and I hope he realizes that and installs a more
> >conventional defense.
> >
> >    - Mishra
>
> Of course, I agree with this post. I've been on this a while now. This
> "system" is a joke. Now Mishra, when you write, "and I hope he
realizes
> that and installs a more conventional system,"....I'm afraid that's
not
> going to happen because, he can't. He doesn't know how, and in any
case, he
> won't because he's invested an entire carreer in it.
>
> Paul M.

==
MG In Exile