Re: Kenny Anderson

|   Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:15:57 -0500
|   From: "Todd W. Crane" <tcrane@isis.unc.edu>
|
|   As one who posted a "Kenny Anderson sucks" post, let me elaborate.
|
|   First off, I never suggested getting rid of him just yet.  I truely
|   understand his importance to this team.  However, I do have serious
|   problems when the point guard has the second most shots attempted when
|   he should be able to realize that he isn't shooting it very well yet.
|   I'm sorry, but shooting something like 33% is absolutely unacceptable
|   for a starting point guard.

33% over three games doesn't mean anything.

|   Traditionally, points guards have very good
|   shooting percentages because they look to set their teammates up first,
|   second, and third, and only when he has a clear look at the bucket or if
|   the shot clock is winding down should the point man throw it up.

Your description is right, but your conclusion is backwards.

PG's have _low_ FG% because they end up taking bad shots because of
the shot clock.

Last year, none of the top starting PG's in the NBA had a FG% over
50%, except for John Stockton (53%).

This includes Strickland (43%), Payton (45%), Hardaway (43%), Iverson
(46%), Kidd (42%), Brandon (46%), Cassell (44%), Stoudamire (36%), and
Marbury (42%).

[Note that these numbers are over a whole season, so don't compare
those numbers with Anderson's 33% quite yet ... last year, Anderson
was at 44%, which is in the middle of the pack.]

|   I'm convinced that any starting
|   and many back up point guards could be doing as well if not better than
|   Kenny in the C's offense at this point.

You're wrong.  There are only a few PG's in the league I would take
over Anderson, and we have little or no shot at getting any of them.

Stockton, Strickland and Hardaway are better, but they're too old for
our young team.

Payton, Marbury, Brandon, Kidd, and maybe Mike Bibby are the only ones
I would take over Anderson.  In the upcoming draft, maybe Jason Terry
or Andre Miller.

-Andy