Re: Mercer

|   Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:42:50 EST
|   From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
|
|   I like Mercer but there is a real double standard on this list in
|   how Mercer and Walker are treated. For example, Mercer is commonly
|   praised as having excellent shot selection while Walker is viewed
|   as a shot selection idiot, but last year they shot the same 2-pt FG%.
|   Anyways, my guess is that Pitino will sign Mercer to a six-year
|   extension but it's not going to be at the maximum.

Well, I heartily agree with Alex that there is a big double standard
on this list.  Walker is incredibly versatile and the cornerstone of
our team, and a unique player.  If he steps it up, he could be the
best player in the NBA.

Mercer is a nice shooting guard -- but is he a better shooting guard
than Ray Allen, Kerry Kittles, Eddie Jones, Latrell Sprewell, Doug
Christie, Michael Finley, Kobe Bryant, Allen Houston, etc., etc.,
etc.?

On the other hand, I disagree with Alex about the shooting percentage
comparison.  Walker's percentage is really *absymal* for a PF, and
it's only his versatility which makes him one of the top players in
the league.  45% is OK for a shooting guard, but not very good for a
power forward.  Plus, Walker's overall shooting percentage is really
closer to 42% because of all the 3-pointers he's taking, and his FT
percentage also sucks.

-Andy

Last Year's stats (from: http://shell.rmi.net/~doug/97-98/BostonCeltics.html)

   Player           Pos  G M/Gm  FGm  FGa  PCT  3m  3a  PCT  FTm  FTA  PCT  AVG
 1 walker,antoine    PF 82 39.9  722 1695 .426  91 292 .312  305  473 .645 22.4
 2 mercer,ron        SF 80 33.3  515 1145 .450   3  28 .107  188  224 .839 15.3