Re: Mercer

Alex Wang wrote:

> I like Mercer but there is a real double standard on this list in
> how Mercer and Walker are treated. For example, Mercer is commonly
> praised as having excellent shot selection while Walker is viewed
> as a shot selection idiot, but last year they shot the same 2-pt FG%.
> Anyways, my guess is that Pitino will sign Mercer to a six-year
> extension but it's not going to be at the maximum.
>
> Alex

Ron Mercer has yet to record an NBA double-double. In this sense, he
compares unfavorably to Dana Barros.

While Mercer is my favorite Boston Celtic,  I wholeheartedly agree with
Alex "Zhi Zhi" Wang that he deserves not to sign for Antoine Walker money
(even if Paul "Thanks Dad" Gaston can clearly afford it). Although I love
Mercer's character and style, I personally think we list members should
save all the Havlicek-analogies for someone else (maybe Paul Pierce, for
example). Mercer is an exciting player, but he's not a potentially
complete player like Antoine. He has rare hops, so we subconsciously put
on the blinders when evaluating him (IMHO).  Mercer's no Magic Johnson.
He's no end-of-career Joe Dumars even.

But I hope he records his first double-double-type contributions this
year, and improves his reputation as a defender. Like I say, he's my
favorite 1999 Boston Celtic by far.

Joe

****