Re: The Next Dynasty

Thanks for this post, Mafioso. It's one of the rare posts that makes me think
twice about strong convictions/hunches I have about our Celts.

Bias was special. He was as camera shy and humble as a great athlete could be (in
retrospect, probably too much of a follower). Once on a basketball court, he'd
exhuberantly kick out his leg up to his shoulder on a rebound like Russell, could
shoot the midrange jumper and slam dunk like a taller version of Michael Jordan,
rebound with a vengeance as consistently as a young Buck Williams. I remember
reading that he was the first two-time ACC player of the year (although I'm
surprised Ralph Sampson, Sam Perkins or James Worthy, Phil Ford, David "Sky"
Walker etc. never achieved this honor before him).

No question Bias was an instant NBA Slam Dunk contest favorite as a rookie, back
when the best players would still put their reps on the line for that showcase
event. The Gerald Henderson for Len Bias swindle seemed like just another in a
long line of awesome Celts moves, rather than the first dark cloud in this
present 13-year run of bad luck. Who knows, maybe we are in the process of
stringing together another run like that (Montross and Samaki for Antoine Walker,
Ron Mercer for Lotto Pick X plus Danny Fortson). It sure isn't as clear cut and
obvious as it used to be, though.  Then again, I guess it never really was. No
doubt, if we had an Internet Celts list back in 1970, you would have heard from
opi@unesco.org saying: "What!? We wasted a top three draft pick on a 6-8 redneck
center who has never even played on national tv? How are we ever going to win a
twelfth banner??" :-)

Happy Holidays,

Joe

--------