Re: Boston Celtics All-90s team

Boston Sports Fan wrote:

>  Joe said:
> "I'd love to have a Xavier McDaniel on this Celts
> team...talk about having a "game face"."
>
> Amen to that. I loved the X-Man. I think the Fort will
> add this quality to this team. He enjoys the hitting,
> and that's a quality lacking in this team. V can do
> it, but always seems to get in foul trouble against
> the physical centers (Shaq, Mourning) Fort will give
> us another big strong unmovable body under the hoop.
>
> X was a skinny dude, but one look from him would back
> anyone down.
>
> My Team of the decade:
>
> C- Parish
> PF-McHale
> SF-Bird
> SG-Lewis
> PG-Sherm Douglas
>
> (Hey Bird and McHale played in the 90's, and I'd take
> them at that level over anyone else)

Why so they did.  Imagine if we could have added Len Bias to that early
90s lineup! :-)

I see another nice vote of support for Sherman Douglas. Any takers on
John Bagley?

Joe

p.s. I actually owned a pair of "X-man" basketball shoes. They were
green with a big white "X" on the sides and were manufactured by some
minor shoe company like Puma. Not very comfortable. Maybe that's why his
knees were so bad. :-) In fact, the X-man's knees were gone from the
moment he arrived via the Knicks to Boston, but he managed to play
through it for several more productive years. People forget that Xavier
was (I think at least) a Rookie of the Year who took the league by storm
almost immediately as a scorer and rebounder, just as Buck Williams had
a few years before. Both guys later developed into solid role players,
but they were total "go-to" scorers way back when.  Also I believe
(could be wrong, again) that X-man was a college teammate of NBA senior
citizen Antoine Carr with the Wichita State Shockers. That's about as
deadly a pair of bookend forwards as you'll see in college.

-------