Walker powers forward: Talent on display at single position

This is arguably the lowpoint of our season, having finally fallen below
.500 with Potapenko, Pierce and Fortson injured and now with San Antonio
and the Lakers coming up. I'm worried that the Flakers will sweep us
this year, which I think hasn't happened in a long time. To the degree
that we haven't been a playoff team lately, the Boston-Lakers game at
home amounts to being our game of the year.

I clipped the following from Steve Bulpett's article today (posted
below), regarding Walker. It does sound from the article that Toine is
still maintaining focus and hasn't given up on the rest of this season.
Antoine may welcome a total change of scenery once the year is done, but
personally I prefer that he finds a solid niche on this (playoff bound)
team even if our fans may (or may not) always despise him. We have a
short memory in sports, but 12 boards is something Walker has shown he's
pretty capable of doing in the normal flow of a game (really). I hope
this continues through the rest of December, but let's face it it all
comes down to how much Walker is willing to work hard enough in the
paint to do it (knowing that whatever stats he puts up, the fans aren't
in a mood to appreciate it anyway).

Just like in the olden days, Walker decided last night that he wanted to
be a stronger player on the court than an MVP like Karl Malone. He
pretty much rose to his goal (13-23FG, 9-12FT, 36 points, 2 blocks, 12
boards, 4 assists). The next challenge of course is Tim Duncan on
Friday. At least last night's game may give him back a little
confidence, which he needs. I personally think Walker needs to draw
Duncan out to the perimeter occasionally, to help his teammates by
taking away Duncan's shotblocking. Antoine will also need a lot of
dedicated shooting practice and video preparation between now and Friday
to get good results, while not forgetting how badly we need him to also
fight for and get another 12 boards against a team like that.

The Spurs played arguably there best game of the season in the previous
matchup, so we can only hope for a letdown and for Mario Elie and their
perimeter guys to come back down to earth. We're entering the midseason
doldrums and the Spurs are one of the oldest teams around, so let's pray
they will come out flat and stay flat under our pressure. The Celts
actually have the right personnel to throw in a little more pressing
tomorrow night (not that I'd recommend it against such a veteran team).
Preferably,  Potapenko will come back and plays for this one.

Go Celts

Joe

-------------------
Boston Herald
Walker powers forward: Talent on display at single position
Steve Bulpett

"And after going 11-for-36 in the first two games without Paul Pierce
(and 0-for-4 on treys with no assists and five turnovers in Cleveland),
he finally ticked off the only person who could really make a
difference. Himself.

``I'm my biggest critic,'' Walker said last night after putting 36
points, 12 rebounds and four assists on Karl Malone and Utah. ``I feel
like I'm capable of playing a lot better than I was playing.''