sorry again...

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Sptguy33@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/13/99 4:53:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> RSMALL@clarku.edu writes:

> The problem is that he argues with refs whjile the game is going on.... then
> he sulks and jogs back... that's the kinda stuff that drives fans crazy.
>
> he's just oversensitive -- he really believes that the refs are against him,
> and it affects his play.
>
> He's a weird dude. Sometimes he's just fascinating to watch in person.

Heh... sorry again... stupid smtp server... I really should isolate drafts from
my outbox...
	But now to clarify my earlier statements. The whole deal with Antoine
and the refs seems to be a chicken and the egg phenomenon. When Antoine came
into the league he took issue with the perceived imbalance of the referee's
calls(a lot like Tommy did, I loved Tommy's cheerleading during the dark
days...) and made the impression of being a whiner to all of the refs. Now he
really *doesn't* get the calls now, because he made the refs mad at him. So now
the situation is oddly circular. Antoine gets mad at the refs when the don't
call fouls, then the refs call *less* fouls. And so on.
	Now on to the subject of Perv. Does anyone think that Perv should have
more of a public leadership role on this team(not to say he doesn't in
private)? Every time I've seen Perv in any sort of social role with the team
Perv seems to be the good natured one, the guy who always cracks jokes, but not
at anyone's expense. Perv seems to be the sort of personality that forms the
glue in teams. I would like to have him around as a calming influence on
Twon(i.e. when he goes off on a ref or fan, to give him encouragement). Did
Pitino realize that when he made Perv a captain during his first year?
	To continue my crazy theory, would it be a good idea to start Perv? I
realize it's usually not good form to start two players who don't create their
own offense(Griffen and Perv), but I think that having Perv on the floor would
cover up a lot of our deficiencies. Starting Perv at center(and moving Pot's to
pf) would give us both shot blocking and muscle in our interior defense. So far
this year, with Battie and Potapenko being interchangable we've had a situation
where we've always sacrificed interior strength for shotblocking. By going to
Perv we could have a shot blocker on the floor for most of the game(espn/nba
brings up the point of the necessity of a shotblocker this year, since the hand
checking rules allow more penetration). Starting Ellision would also move
Williams back to the bench, adding more potency to our second team's
offense(which they need desperately).
  	Offensively I think Perv would be less of a millstone than most people
think because Perv(again like Adrian) is a player that gets his points within
the flow of the offense. He's a good passer, has good hands  and finishes
pretty well around the basket(as far as I know... does perv still finish well
when people dump him the ball after his umpteen injuries?). Basically he'd move
the ball around, and provide a nice person to dump off too when Pot's got
doubled in the post, or when Walker or Anderson created an opening on
penetration. Having him and pot's around the basket would be nice insurance for
 the rebounds of some of Walker's wild drives and shots too...

Thoughts?

Noah