----

Potapenko adds to growing injury list
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett

Tuesday, December 14, 1999

CLEVELAND - The Celtics thought they were in a fight for the
playoffs, but it appears now they are in a war of attrition. Vitaly
Potapenko is the latest casualty, having strained his right calf muscle
late in Sunday night's loss in New York.

Potapenko missed practice yesterday but still will try to play tonight
against the Cavaliers. With Paul Pierce (sprained left ankle) on the
injured list, Danny Fortson still working his way back from a fractured
right foot and Walter McCarty skipping the workout to rest his right
foot (stress reaction), the numbers are starting to work against the
Celts. Adding to the trouble is a stretch of road games.

``It was the last minute of the game I think,'' Potapenko said of his
problem's origin. ``I just pushed off to make a move and it just
crimped up. So we did treatment in the morning and we'll do a couple
more during the day (today). I'm definitely hoping to be in the lineup
(against his former team). It's an important game. We need a win,
and the Cavs are one of the teams we're competing against for the
playoffs, so I just have to do everything and hope things will be
better.''