Re: Celtics Barely Win: Celtics 100-Rockets 96

>From: Sptguy33@aol.com
>
>On the other hand, Walker rubs the fans the wrong way with the way he acts,
>so he deserves some of the blame. He's just not a very likable guy.
>
>I would never boo him for missing a shot though.
>
>I have yelled at him for not hustling back on defense, which he does often.

I doubt you would do it in that situation (i.e. Celtics leading by 30, game
in garbage time).  What you are saying is that he deserves it because he
acts a certain way.  He's not "likeable".  I don't think that's a good
enough excuse, myself.  It's not like he's made a habit of being abusive to
fans or anything.  Basically people haven't liked him from the beginning.
They tolerated him his first two years because of his brilliance on the
court.  Since then he hasn't been the same player (We could talk for hours
about why that is.  Out of shape?  Pitino reigning in his game?) and, God
damn him, he signed a huge contract. The fans no longer see any reason not
to let him know what they really think of him.  I think it's disgusting.
How much courage does it take to shout insults at someone who can't do
anything to defend himself because he's a public figure with television
cameras pointed at him?  I think it's foolish.  These people will tell you
that they are doing it because Antoine's lazy or selfish and they just want
the team to win.  Exactly how is their booing helping matters?  The boo
birds have created a nasty atmosphere to go watch a game in.  Really.  If
you want to go root for the Celtics, it's not pleasant.  My feeling is that
the prime motivation is jealousy.  These people have some dissatisfaction
with their own lives and see Antoine as the prototypical spoiled young
athlete with everything handed to him on a plate.  As if that is somehow his
fault.  The only way they can think of to express their feelings is this
nonsense.  I've been wondering why attendance has been so poor, given the
foact the the team is better than it has been for years.  I think I have my
answer.

Jim