Re: What is it about Barkley?

What is it? It's his charm, charisma, big smile and intelligence. It's his
round rump, silliness, and sense of fairness. It's his extraordinary play
at a position he had no business playing (for a man of his height). His joy
and honesty. "I am not a role model." "The refs suck." Whatever he was
saying, you knew that he believed in it and would say it without apology,
BUT he would also apologize if he thought he hurt someone. It was his
generosity and his gratefulness for what the game gave him. He knows he's
lucky to have been a basketball player. He understands about the Celtics.
He put off surgery to come to Boston.

He scowled like the others, but then cracked a joke or a smile. He played
with the greats and appreciated them. He's humble in his own way. He was
raised right, but he's a little crazy too. When he says he wants to be
governor of Alabama, you almost say to yourself, "well, why not?"

Jackie McMullen was interviewed the other morning and told a story about
being very pregnant and sitting on the press row between the benches in the
old Gahden. Charles dove over a guy sitting two seats away from her to get
a loose ball. After the game, he called her over and said: "I like you very
much and I'm happy you and Mike (her husband) are having a baby, but do you
have to sit right there in that condition?" McMullen was also touched that
he remembered her husband's name.

McMullen talked about how after the Philly game, Charles stayed up late
drinking with the press gang. She predicted he would be hung over and
depressed when this all started to sink in. Darned if he isn't expressing
those very feelings. I like his honesty. "I'm not going to lie, I cried for
three hours." Do you think that Latrell would ever admit that? Barkley has
class at times and a big mouth at other times. We're all complex humans,
and he wears his on his sleeve.

That and a lot more makes him different.

Theresa