Re: Walker for Ratliff

Jim Meninno wrote:

> >From: opi@unesco.org
>
> >p.p.s. After Pitino pledged to Walker that he'll stop dropping AW's name in
> >trade rumors, we've already seen "Celtics sources" purportedly referring to
> >two deals (Van Horn and Ratliff) not even 1/5 of the way into the new
> >season.
>
> Joe, don't forget that article in the Herald a few days ago where Pitino
> categorically denied there were any discussions with Philly at all this
> year.  I think he decided to comment on this rumor precisely because of that
> promise he supposedly made to Antoine.  As far as "sources for both teams"
> confirming the Celtics are interested in a Walker for Ratliff deal, I don't
> buy it myself.  Why would a Celtic source talk to a Philly paper about trade
> talks they're having?

Hi Jim, yeah I do imagine certain journalists probably turn to people like
Jersey Red as a "Celtics source",  just to create a news buzz. It's fair to say
additionally that when Pitino does trade, it doesn't go down according to rumor
(or else Samaki Walker would be sitting on our bench right now).

Still there is a part of me that assumes that while "Slick Ricky" may have
adamently denied the precise details of the trade (Pots and the three other
specific rumored players) he still could have given Wallace the go ahead to
inquire about Ratliff in the process of dangling Walker's name around the
league....it sort of a "yeah, I might recollect having had words with Philly
about Walker, but I never actually inhaled in the process" type of thing.

Either way I assume this rumor will bother Antoine if it gets back to him, but
frankly he has somewhat brought it on himself with what I consider to be
weak-ass and passionless play over the first month (worse than even Ron Mercer
for example). AW's doing a good job of proving his critics right by missing so
many easy shots and bringing the same crapola finishing touches around the hoop.

The other day I checked out some more Bird era games on video (just to show my
kid what's what) and it left me with no doubt that the pump fake is a perfectly
useful weapon for a non-leaper like Antoine (or Bird or Maxwell etc). Just once
I'd like to see Antoine try it in a game, because it can part oceans if done
right. In fact, I'd also like Antoine to use the backboard more often around the
hoop. Dan Forant etc is also probably right about missed opportunites for the
mid range pull-up jumper, which for some reason many of the Celts (plus Mercer)
tend to replace with these sky high floaters.

Cowens wasn't much of a pump fake artist either, if I recollect well, so I wish
Maxwell could also be actively involved in teaching the young big men, with
Cowens and Russ focusing on defensive footwork and seeing passing opportunities
out of the pivot. With all the video these guys watch, I wonder if Rick Pitino
ever even bothers to show his guys videos from the McHale/Maxwell/Bird era for
instructional purposes. Getting off an uncontested inside shot with a consistent
shooting form can at least be a lot easier than Antoine makes it for himself,
even if not everyone can be a McHale or Maxwell.

Have a good weekend,

Joe

****