re: Walker for Ratliff

Theo is listed at 6-10 225, which will make him look relatively puny
lined up next to even a Tony Battie type center/forward (listed at 6-11
245 also by NBA.COM ). Ergo, the worrisome 4.3 fouls per game Theo is
committing this year (career 2.9).

Last season, I remember Pitino hyped Tony Battie as a kid who could one
day be as productive as Theo. Judging by this year's stats (skewed by
injuries, I realize), Battie has caught up to Theo certainly on a per
minute basis at least (Ratliff is at .381FG%, 10.7ppg, 6.7rpg, 0.7 apg,
2.57bpg in 33.4mpg). Other than blocks, Ratliff's having a very tough
year.

It's also hard for a career 0.4 assists per game guy like Ratliff to not
subtract something  from the Celtics as our starting or back up to
Fortson at the power forward position. But Pitino seems infatuated with
him, and there is nothing we can do about this.

I guess, though, that you can always find fault in any player if you go
just be stats. For example, if Antoine Walker gets 8 rebounds tonight
against Miami, his average will stand at - you guessed it - "6.66" per
game.

Coincidence? I think not. :-)

Joe

p.s. In all seriousness, I think a Battie and Walker for Ratliff and
Hughes nearly makes sense for both teams, although I'd like to know much
more about Hughes' character and defensive ability. I'm sure we'll see
more of Larry Hughes this weekend. He and Pierce (starting again at
forward) would have to become nearly as dependable on offense as say a
Hill and Stackhouse in order for the Celts to make the playoffs, with
Griffin and Fort/Ratliff as the sixth and seventh man. This team will
have to play great defense and rebounding to win, and I do think it's
plausible that they can. But no, I don't favor of this trade. IMO
Ratliff has as much chance to be a bust as Walker does in Philly, what
with Theo's lack of size, foul-prone tendencies and truly mediocre and
one dimensional "Battiesque" career stats (7.7ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.25 bpg)
over the past five seasons. He's basically a proven version of Battie,
minus the size & the offensive potential.

p.p.s. After Pitino pledged to Walker that he'll stop dropping AW's name
in trade rumors, we've already seen "Celtics sources" purportedly
referring to two deals (Van Horn and Ratliff) not even 1/5 of the way
into the new season.

****