RACIST

Just to clarify things from my standpoint, "calling the kettle black" is an expression I heard alot growing up in rural Vermont.  We lived in Boston and in southern NH too, before coming back to Vermont.  You won't find a white person less racist than I am, but that expression came from the old days when people heated water and cooked in kettles - when it was black it was either old or dirty.  I never thought of it as meaning anything else - never in my life did I consider it a racist remark, and I've used it often.  I'm upset that anyone would think I meant it as racist!  I'm also a little bothered that after all these years of using what I sort of thought of as a country remark is now thought of as racist.  Is it possible that sometimes people read that into things that are never meant that way at all?  Just asking.

Dorine