Re: Three things

Douglas342@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 08/31/1999 8:24:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
> tbisson@doe.state.vt.us writes:
>
> > Pet Peeve:
> >  Someone made the remark recently about "calling the kettle black." I
> >  also hear people saying (not necessarily on this list) that some team or
> >  player got "gyped." I'm sure the users of these phrases are not
> >  expressing a racist sentiment, but never-the-less, the phrases are
> >  racist.
> Sorry, gotta disagree.  Pots and kettles hang over fires and get blackened by
> the smoke.

I thought "pots" and "kettle black" were parts of our new starting frontcourt.:-)
Compared to other languages, a lot of English maxims make no immediate or obvious
sense (e.g. doesn't "the whole nine yards" still leave you a yard shy of a first
down? Why are approximations called a "ball park figure"? They must have used
turnstiles to count attendance even in the old days).

Anyway, it still isn't clear to me from anyone's explanation how "calling a
kettle black" is so hypocritical.

--------