Francis trade, redux

>Houston would get the rights to Francis, Tony Massenberg, Lee Mayberry,
Michael Smith,
                          Rodrick Rhodes and Makhtar Ndiaye. Vancouver would
get Othella Harrington, Michael
                          Dickerson, Brent Price, Antoine Carr, Houston's
number one pick in 2000 and cash in a deal that
                          would be one of the largest in league history. The
trade will be announced Friday after it is
                          approved by the league.

My comments on this are similar to the Detroit trade, but I think Vancouver
comes out a little better on this deal. Dickerson had better numbers than
Brickhouse last year, and I'm sure Houston hates to lose him, but he's
actually a very similar player to Cuttino Mobley. Othella Harrington is
probably the next-best player in this deal, less of a gamble than Vaught, and
will provide similar rebounding to Michael Smith but more scoring. The
Carr-for-Massenburg part seems tilted in Houston's favor -- Couver will miss
Tony's 6 boards a game, and unless they're going to keep the ancient Carr
around for "good locker-room presence" he'll probably be waived. Brent Price
had better numbers than Mayberry, but isn't really a pure point, so this piece
actually helps both teams - the Grizzlies get somebody else to try to fill the
hole at 2, and the Rockets get a guy who can give you decent spot minutes.

Still and all, it's hard to believe the Grizzlies couldn't have gotten more
for the #2 pick in the draft than Michael Dickerson and Othella Harrington.
Sure, Houston's pick helps, but we're talking a likely late first rounder. I
have a hard time seeing Vancouver going anywhere but back to the lottery; they
waited far too long to move him. Meanwhile, if Scottie decides to shut up and
play and Barkley and Hakeem are healthy, the Rockets have added a potentially
electrifying piece.