Re: Francis trade, redux

Peter,

A lot of good comments on this trade. Looking at the salaries involved,
it seems like Houston is giving up long term contracts while accepting
contract expiring next summer. My guess is that Houston is going to give
one more run at the title and, if they don't encounter much success, go
into rebuilding mode around Francis.

It does seem like Vancouver didn't get as much as it could have had it
pulled the trigger during draft night, if you believe the rumors from
back then. I personally think the deal depends on Harrington, who did a
pretty good job for the Rockets when he was called upon to start. If he
can give Vancouver the low-post presence that they've been coveting, it
could turn out well for them, especially in the short term. I think their
short term goal is just to not be one of the three worst teams in the
league, so it might help that they are not pinning their future on another
college age kid.

I also wonder how Francis will fit into Houston's system, which right now
doesn't seem to take advantage of his talents (or Pippen's). Will they
actually change their offense now that Barkley can't back into the post?

I'm glad that the Celtics are playing in the East. The playoff teams in
the West seem pretty scary.

Alex