Re: Shaky ground

In a message dated 8/26/99 8:15:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gkir@tjc.tyler.cc.tx.us writes:

>  That's why we could
>  be a 33 win team or a 53 win team.

   Add me to those standing and applauding, Gene.  I was thinking about the
upcoming season today and had an apocalyptic vision of how important it will
be.  It is harder and harder for me to be a sports fan.  Athletes are spoiled
millionaires, owners are manipulative, whiny billionaires.  You know the
mantra.  But then there's the Celtics.  Tradition. Pride.  Parquet.  Those
banners.
   If the Celtics have a good year this year (and don't ask me now what a
"good year" is), then I will root for them enthusiastically and wait for next
year.  Pitino will be a top coach.  The future is bright.
    But they might win 33 games and stink.  If that happens, I can see me
just giving up on the whole damn thing.  The hell with Antoine ("I got $71
mil but no respect" Walker; the hell with Slick Rick Pitinocchio.  The hell
with all of them.  Goodbye mailing list.  Goodbye stock certificate (or
whatever it is.)  I'll watch NASCAR races, maybe some golf, but the hell with
these spoiled, overpaid owners and players.  I'm on the far side of 50 and
remember Russ and Cooz and Frank Ramsey and them.  Those are fine memories
and will do unless this present group can get my attention THIS YEAR.
     No excuses, guys.  None.  (Well, if the team plane skids and all the
players are hurt...)