Re: OnHoops is pretty good

Alex Wang wrote:

> (snips) Turner does fill a need although perhaps not a short term one. Pitino
> is probably not going to keep Barros around after his contract expires.
> In fact I'd expect him to be traded when he has a season or less on
> his contract. In the meantime, Turner is groomed for the backup point,
> and can hopefully play a role in defending the bigger, post-up point
> guards in the conference, which was a problem that Pitino mentioned
> last year.

I guess a reasonable way to evaluate Wayne Turner is to imagine that we traded
him straight up for Damon Jones. The Celtics basically gave both player an
extended NBA tryout, and then chose Turner based on his play against inferior
players out in Fila La Land.

I've watched Damon Jones play in his career game (16 points 6 assists vs the Wiz)
as well as in some less impressive outings for Boston and New Jersey. The kid was
interviewed by Willie Maye after the Wiz game, and sounded like a really good guy
who sounded hopeful he'd be back next year. Pitino also singled him out several
times for praise during his postgame press conference.

Jones is lankier, has great range on his jumpshot and got the Celts into their
offense pretty efficiently. Presumably the two players are about even on defense.

Obviously there must be an added comfort level with Turner as a result of the
Kentucky connection, although as I recall he didn't start playing regularly until
after Pitino had left. Although Tony Delk graduated after Turner's freshmen
season, KU still had a guard rotation the next year that featured Derek Anderson,
Anthony Epps, Allen Edwards, Ron Mercer & Jeff Sheppard.

Go Celts!

Joe

p.s. I do remember that Alex first proposed a Mercer for Fortson deal last
Spring. Who knows, maybe Chris Wallace actually reads the digest. :-)

-----