Orange County Register: Clippers Need A Point Guard

Well this doesn't concern the Celtics, at least not yet, but it
could, as the Clippers are looking deperately for a point guard,
and David Falk has put the Maurice Taylor contract talks on hold.
If the C's play their cards right, they can obtain both Taylor and
Steve Francis, but they'll have to draw a straight flush along
the way....

        Taylor's contract talks with Clippers on hold
        NBA: The forward's agent suggests the move, so Baylor turns his
        attention to acquiring a point guard.
        August 20, 1999
        By ART THOMPSON III
        The Orange County Register
        LOS ANGELES — The business Clippers vice president Elgin Baylor wanted
        to complete today with power forward Maurice Taylor has been shelved.
        David Faulk, Taylor's agent, canceled a meeting with the Clippers to
        negotiate a contract extension for the Clippers' best player.
        "It has been changed to a later date, for sometime in September," Baylor
        said Thursday. "It was something that (Faulk) suggested we do."
        Baylor said Faulk indicated he had other business to complete before he
        talks with the Clippers. It is expected Faulk will seek the maximum for
        Taylor, which would be an extension for six years at approximately $72
        million. Taylor is in the last season of his original three-year
        contract, which will pay him $1,367,400.
        Taylor averaged a team-high 16.8 points per game last season in 46 games
        but there are indications the Clippers are reluctant to give Taylor the
        maximum because they believe he needs to become a better rebounder.
        Taylor averaged 5.2 rebounds per game last season and had five games in
        which he had 10 or more rebounds. But after Clippers coach Chris Ford
        challenged him before one game, Taylor pulled down 20 against Vancouver.
        Ford has made no secret about his desire for Taylor to average double
        figures in rebounds.
        Meanwhile, the Clippers continue to search for a point guard to join
        incumbents Troy Hudson and Pooh Richardson, neither of whom are
        desirable starters. The list has dwindled, and the best guard who
        appears to be available is Utah's Howard Eisley, whom the Jazz has been
        trying to trade. The Clippers no doubt would be interested in veteran
        Kevin Johnson, who sat out last season. But Johnson has indicated he
        only would be interested in signing with a team that has a chance to
        compete for the NBA championship. That would not be the Clippers, though
        members of the team believe they are a player or two short of being a
        legitimate playoff team.
        "When you look at the free-agent list and see what's out there, trying
        to get a point guard from another team in a trade is tough," Baylor
        said. "All we can do is keep plugging away. It's not going to be as easy
        as we'd like."
        Baylor said teams might be more open to make deals in mid-September,
        with training camp looming. Although the Clippers theoretically can have
        three first-round draft picks next year — two of which they obtained in
        a trade with Atlanta — Baylor is not looking to wait until then to
        address the point-guard situation.
        "We're trying to get the best player we can get, now," he said. "You
        look at the draft next year, and there's no point guard that jumps out
        at you at this time. We want to get someone with experience. There are
        some young guys out there now that are available, but we'd like to get
        someone who — if they haven't started — has at least played some
        minutes."  HOME PAGE

      Copyright 1999 The Orange County Register