Re: McDonough: C's To Walker: Play Well, Create Value, Then We'll Trade You

>                                 By Will McDonough, Globe Columnist,
>                                 08/14/99 <snip>
>
>                                 Here's the Celtics' mindset regarding
>                                 Antoine Walker as training camp nears:
>                                 They feel he doesn't want to play in
>                                 Boston, but as of now there isn't any team
>                                 out there that will give them anything of
>                                 substance for him.

What compels Will McDonutbreath to spin it as though our ingrate Antoine
Walker "doesn't want to play" in front of Boston fans, when it seems perfectly
accurate to state that 99% of the hostility has come from the opposite
direction (i.e. the fans)?

As I've said before, one of the most interesting aspects of Antoine's
disappointing Boston years (other than consecutive "triple doubles" four
months before his 21st birthday; or career highs of 49 points, 13 assists and
21 rebounds; or being one of just four NBA elite "20-10" players and finishing
#2 overall in "double doubles" in the last complete NBA season) is that
judging strictly by his own words, this kid might be thick-headed enough to
believe Boston fans and writers (Bob "Time Bomb" Ryan) actually wish the best
for him and want to see him succeed.

I've no idea what Antoine Walker is thinking at this moment but based on
evidence pro and con, I'm not sure the Boston fans would appreciate a second
chance from him anyway (if he declares his intention to stay). It arguably
could be a "Win-Win" for both sides that they part company after this season,
regardless of whether or not we make the early rounds of the playoffs. I for
one would breath a huge sigh of relief the day this happens. I'm sick of
reading list opinions about what a talented, competitive kid he is, how much
his teammates seem to root for him to play well, and how he behaves like a
saint off-the-court compared to other young NBA players. :-)

IMO, Walker will still make for a great villain on an opposing team (ideally
Philly or Miami). And contrary to popular belief, there may actually be
several major FAs available next summer (via sign-and-trade) who jack up more
shots, can't pass to a teammate, don't rebound, are lighter skinned and don't
jiggle, are accused of only one serious crime, and yet are so damn humble pie
that they ACTUALLY prefer to rent than to own. :-) Regardless of what the
over-rated, loud-mouth geezer Red Auerbach said about Ron Mercer's defensive
contributions, Trader Rick should have first  listened to shareholders'
opinions before moving to trade Ron instead of Antoine.

--------