Re: McDonough: C's To Walker: Play Well, Create Value, Then We'll Trade You

>Considering the fact, that if Battie isn't signed by October 1st, then
>he's not eligible to be re-signed until after he becomes a free agent -
>next August 1st, then using the draft choice and him in a trade for a
>quality player makes perfect sense and isn't reckless. It's turning a
>weakness -- the possible impending loss of Battie -- into a strength.

If Ricky does move Tony, I hope he plans on acquiring a pf taller than 6'7".

QUOTE TO NOTE: "At the end of the day, Danny Fortson is
  still only 6-7." -- Opposing NBA coach, downplaying the
  Celtic acquisition.

And too many bad days could add up to the end of the Celtics' Rick Pitino
Era. We all assume Ricko plans to move Antoine to the 3 and Pierce to the
2...yes? Leaving most of the minutes at the 4 divided up between Tony and
Fortson..yes? If these are his plans, and he moves Tony, he better get
someone who can play the 4 while Danny sits because of foul trouble. This
is a big year for the Ricktator. If the team stinks it up this year, we may
see Rick pull another exit from the NBA. But this time he won't have
anybody but himself to blame. It seems to me that if no more moves are
made, Pitino is betting: 1) that Danny can stay out of foul trouble, 2)
that Tony can adequately play the 4 if Danny can't, 3) that Antoine can
defend the 4 if #'s 1 and 2 don't work out. Defense was a problem last
year, it was a problem in Pitino's first year, and I'm not sure the
acquisition of Danny Fortson has "solved" the problem. How many years did
Ricky coach the Knicks? Can we all agree that Pitino "has" to make the
playoffs this year? It's easy for some of us to sit around and bet that
Battie rises above mediocrity this year. Like he never has before.
But...Way may be right. Tony and the pick could be going for a "surer"
thing. And I'm not talking about cap space for next summer. I'm talking
about talent on the floor for the wins that Ricky has to have next season.
Again...you can't play money. It's time for Rick Pitino to shit or get off
the pot. Where have I heard that before?

Paul M.