The average NBA fan just doesn't know squat

As I said late last week, it is now open season of Pitino and people are
certainly taking advantage, taking shots at a prey that was previously
unthinkable. In columns, talkshows, and message boards people have ripped
Pitino for his decisions to date, his trade of Ron Mercer and his supposed
thinking of trading Twon Walker.

I disagree with most of this people as I think Pitino has done a remarkable
job reshaping the Celtics from a team that had won 15 games and was limited
by the salary cap to a young, exciting team that I feel will be one of the
top four teams in the Eastern Conference this year.

Why do we see things so differently? One may argue that is because I am a
true Celtic fan so I am so biased I can't see the truth. One could argue that
these columnists are nothing so they have to take cheap shots at high
authorities to attempt to legitimatize themselves (Jim Rome and the Jim/Chris
Evert slam). Both of these things could be true. However, I believe there is
a bigger reason.

The average NBA just doesn't know squat about basketball. In the age of Jerry
Springer and Sportcenter, all they care about is who can bust the best move,
put down the best slam, swat the ball into the stands or perhaps what it
takes to get on the Jumbotron. People just don't know it takes to make a
TEAM.

Let's take the Mercer trade for example. People, basketball analysts
included, have crucified Pitino for trading what some consider a potential
star. The Celts got a solid rebounder, a reserve scorer and a future no. 1
pick in return. Now, if you know anything about the Celtics, you know that
they have lacked inside, muscle players that could rebound for about 10
years. Until they traded for Vitally at midseason last year, they hadn't had
a real center since the Chief left. That is also the last time they had a
player who could plug the middle and box out. The Celtics desperately needed
an additional player who could do the dirty work, rebound, box out and play
defense.  But does that make Sportscenter? Heck no. People totally forgot our
biggest need was a rebounder and instead worried about a player who was a
gentleman, shot about 42% from the field and looked real pretty in a Statue
of Liberty dunk. How can you use all this athletic talent you have
offensively if you can't rebound the basketball? How could Mercer ever become
a star if he is sharing the ball with Anderson, Pierce and Walker?

But, you see. This doesn't matter. Because your local yokel thinks you can
win with a Dream Team lineup, 3 Pennys and 2 Shaqs ought to do the trick <s>.
Sure it takes stars to win championships. But it also takes people who can do
the dirty work and know there roles and these guys actually have to play to
be able to accomplish these things. That takes away from the Dream Team
concept which is apparently hard for the average fan to understand. It is
also unfornate that these "basketball analysts" who should know better
apparently have been either watching too much Sportscenter or were born too
late to watch how TEAMS played during the 70's and 80's...

DJessen33