Re: Ike

> Speaking of free agent big men, I noticed at the end of Mr. Dumberg's
column
> (yes, I was somehow able to make it that far) that Grant Long is looking
for a
> team. I wonder if he'd be enticed by our $1 mil exception -- a one year
deal
> might tempt him. He's 6'9, 250 and solid on the boards; plus, he'd be that
> veteran presence. Anybody know anything about his attitude?

I may be biased but Grant Long kicks ass.  He's had two stints with the
Hawks this decade (traded once to make room for Mutumbo under the cap) and
has always been the hardest working, most overachieving player on the team.
In all honesty he's probably no more than 6'8"/240 but he's pretty quick,
has surprising range on his jumper, and like Fortson has a real nose for the
ball.  He really thrives in an uptempo game as usually beats his man down
the floor at both ends of the court.

He's getting up there in age but still was very good this past season,
arguably outplaying the porcelain fabricated Henderson.  I was hoping the
Hawks could keep him to mix it up along with Deke, Henderson, and Wright but
if not he could be the exact veteran the Celtics need.  His game fits the
team to a T and his bust ass, no frills work ethic could really do wonders
for the team's maturity and professionalism, particularly Antoine's.  Apart
from getting a Bo Outlaw I can't think of a better veteran frontcourt player
for the C's when all the intangibles are counted.

Tim