Slots....

The conversation about salary caps, un/willingness to spend to get a
winner, overpriced athletes and cheap owners is a recurring boring loop.
About a year ago I suggested a way to end the conversation and I'd like
to revisit this proposal. Basically, each team has 12 payroll slots with
the highest pay going to the number one slot, next highest to number
two, etc. Players would be signed to a slot and would receive the
corresponding pay. (The union and the league would bargain over how much
each slot would be worth.) The team-player negotiations would revolve
around which slot the player gets for how many years rather than money.
Trades wouldn't have to fit around/under salary caps but would have to
take slots into consideration. No Larry Bird exceptions or other salary
cap foolishness. The idea is simple so I don't expect it to be
understood or accepted. Thanks for listening.

- tom