Re: Pitino/Cousy

Dorine wrote:

> I don't think I'd give him all that much credit for those people
> - Dorine

FWIW, I'm not sure even Pitino himself would make this spin (that he's
helped the careers of these players). All Pitino's really done is gotten
them to gradually adhere better to a particular "system". I guess you
could further make the claim that Pitino "helped" Barros become a true
point guard, but most likely not that he has helped Barros improve his
career stats in any category (maybe fewer turnovers? I don't know). I
won't take the time to look it all up, but I have a feeling that the
other veterans (Minor, Dee Brown) mentioned have all had superior stats
and shooting percentages (playing on better teams, in fact) in the years
prior to Pitino's arrival. I was less sure of this claim in the case of
Tony Battie, so I looked it up his "El Busto" era stats:

Rookie year:  8.4ppg 5.4rpg 0.83spg 1.06bpg in 23.2 mpg
Pitino year:    6.7ppg 6.0rpg 0.58spg 1.42bpg in 22.4 mpg

But with "stahtah" minutes, Battie averaged 9.9 points, 10.1 rebounds
and 2.5 blocks over eight games near the end of last season. Before we
get too excited, you can usually find at least one solid 5 to 10 game
stretch from virtually ANY professional NBA player, just as you can find
hot stretches from even the lousiest journeyman major league baseball
player.

Battie's overall numbers suggest that he needs to be a more consistent
player this year, and it wouldn't hurt if he had teammates who can light
a fire under everyone.

Joe

Regarding Cousy, I think we'll miss his decency and wry humor plus
whenever he announces a game, you somehow feel more confident you are
rooting for the good guys. Having said this, I absolutely agree with Dan
Forant that Cousy has been "mailing it in" on a somewhat regular basis.
To start with, Cousy has hands down the most somniferous voice I've ever
heard on television. It actually makes me pass out...I've nearly fallen
asleep before halftime on a few occasions, and I'm the kind that really
pays attention to everything that goes on in a game. It's not the
quality of content in what Cous says, but the delivery. I wonder if
anyone else relates to what I mean?

If you've ever re-watched Bird's 60 point game it's almost like a comedy
sketch how dull his game narration is, even the dramatic last two
minutes which seem to catch Cousy off guard (even HE sounds like he's
about to fall asleep listening to his own voice). FWIW, I watched a lot
of Celts videos with opposing team announcers last season, and actually
prefer this (or at least, I don't mind). I guess the guys who impressed
me were Doc Rivers, Hubie Brown, Reggie Theus. Cheryl Miller also has a
lot of natural charisma in my opinion. Who else do you guys like?