Re: Mercer at small forward

>From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>
>
>Mercer actually did play a bit of small forward for the Celtics over
>the past few years. I can see why Issel is projecting Mercer at small
>forward because they had no depth there at all last year. They were
>playing Eric Washington and Bryant Stith there last year, who should
>both probably be shooting guards (and smaller ones than Mercer).
>I suppose the addition of McCloud should help their SF depth.
>But they don't have many choices; are they going to bench Chauncey
>Billups who was Issel's prize acquisition in his first year?

We're not talking about Mercer filling in at forward for a minute or two
here, although I can't say I even remember that happening last year.  Seems
to me, Minor and Bowen were used at forward and not Ron.  What we're talking
about is Ron logging major forward minutes alongside a backcourt that is no
bigger than Kenny and Marlon Garnett (ie. NVE and Chauncey).  I'm no expert
on Raef LaFrentz, but I don't believe he's the most physical big man around,
either.  I know this is the Western Conference, but when is the last time a
three guard lineup ever amounted to anything.  How do you think Ron's going
to look matched up with Shareef or Antoine?  Does he know how to defend in
the post at all?  Does he know where the post is?  When's the last time you
saw an all-star forward with zero inside moves?  Denver's lack of inside
options is irrelevant.  If that were a concern to them, they wouldn't have
traded Fortson and Williams for a guard and a forward who's an unknown due
to injury.  Issel obviously considers Mercer a "three", or he wouldn't have
made the trade.  I guess it's just that in Denver the "three" is another
guard.  Must be the altitude.

Jim