Re: There's been some discussion of Eric Williams on the list.

>From: damekmo@teleport.com

>But Williams lost something besides weight during his year-long
>rehabilitation. When he came back, he wasn't the same driving dervish that
>had made him the star of the Nuggets' 1997 preseason. Instead, he was
>tentative and many times seemed out of place on the court.

I still maintain that one year is too early to judge how a player comes back
from ACL surgery.  There is precident for athletic type players coming back
quite well.  Ron Harper and Danny Manning come to mind.  Will Eric ever be
the same as before?  Probably not.  Will he be worth his current contract?
I doubt it.  But, I still think he's come along better than Popeye, who was
made completely redundant by getting Fortson.  It makes you think that each
side wanted to dump their ACL baggage because the main players involved
removed any need on Denver for Williams (remember, Mercer's a forward now),
and Boston for Popeye.  I doubt either of those players would have been
involved otherwise.  And, because Williams has a larger contract, Denver
paid as much of the difference as the league would allow.  And, because
they're an up and coming, playoff bound team (yeah right!), they were
gracious enough to add a first round draft pick.  So, for the time being,
Williams isn't costing any more than Popeye.  And in a year or two, with his
newly found enthusiasm for training, he should have gotten a lot more
accustomed to playing on a rebuilt knee.  I do think, though, that any
thoughts of trading him right now are unrealistic, as no one will take him.

Jim